Premed 101 Forums

early admission

Guest brandonite

Guest Tempus Textor

Dear OTgirl,

You're entirely welcome. Times like these can be grinders; I am glad to be of service.

The very best of luck to you.

Tempus Textor.

Hi All,

Just happy to note I got my early acceptance to U of M today with an entrance scholarship too!!!!

To top it all off, I am an OOP applicant too.

Who else has heard?

Guest anon

Hi Tempus, I was just wondering where you learned that the remaining admissions letters were being mailed out in the middle of May?

I was under the impression that this usually occurs in the first week of June. Perhaps they have changed it this year?

Thanks.

Guest Tempus Textor

My apologies for misquoting mid-May as the regular admissions decisions distribution; it is in fact early June. You would think I could keep it straight having mentioned it once already in my 15 March post. Brain thinking one thing and hands typing another. (Might have to sleep this week :P )

In any case bon chance to all.

Tempus Textor.

Guest OT girl

Hey Tempus Textor,

I am one of those who came a little later to the decision to apply to medicine. Happily that part of my journey is over (I was accepted to Manitoba with a little financial boost). In the past couple of years I have noticed the "now or never" fears that some develop in this challenging process and it's important to remember that every path is different. I often thought it was too late for me but then I met people who had come from much more challenging circumstances and persevered. Their example and encouragement helped me to keep my cool even when my confidence was flagging. BTW, U of M is my absolute first choice - I completed my undergrad at the Bannatyne campus and have many past med grads as colleagues and friends and can attest that the environment is one that encourages excellence but balances it with a warm and human environment.

P.S. Congrats to brandonite, V and missing manitoba!

Guest brandonite

Congratulations, OT girl!

And I have said it here before - I really like Manitoba as a school! The students and staff are friendly, the facilities are new, and it seems like a great atmosphere. I still think that it is one of the top schools in Canada. I have just been frustrated to no end by the people involved in the MD/PhD program, which sometimes colours my impression of the school. But I would be very happy if I ended up there for the next 7 years!

Good luck to the rest of you! I hope all of you will be getting good news in June. I know a few friends last year who got in even into August, so just wait patiently. :)

Guest missing Manitoba

Thanks for the congrats earlier! (And, as I said on the other board, congratulations to you, too!) :)

Guest brandonite

Thank you!

I will be at the Faculty of Medicine regardless next fall - either as a PhD student or as a MD student, depending on my changes, so I will see you there!

I was just there on Wednesday wandering around, remembering what I liked about the place so much in the first place... And it all came back to me. I have no idea what I am going to do. :(

Guest brandonite

Oh, I liked it when I was there. And that leads back to the problem discussed on page 1. :) About my MD/PhD quandries...

Guest sazzafrazz

congrats to everyone getting in so early! for those of you who aren't in yet, don't be discouraged.... there is still lots of time and lots of positions available. The last person last year was admitted three weeks after school started. There is usually lots of movement in the last week before school starts and into O week. Besides, there is still another round of admissions coming in June. You'll all get in.... just be patient! I know its hard to wait... especially if you don't hear anything. Everyone that interviewed definitely gets a letter in June notifying you if you're in, still in the running (waiting list) or have to try again next year.

Best of Luck

saz

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Tempus Textor

Hello OT girl,

I am truly sorry for not responding sooner to your post; I have been joyously preoccupied for several weeks and unable to keep up on review of this fine expressive vehicle of hopes, dreams and sorrows.

I am glad that you have come to the uncommon recognition of the hollow threat of immediacy. Granted, it can be poignantly intimidating, but I, like you, believe that we all have more time than we often perceive. I too approached medicine later in life and would not change any of my past, even if I could, simply to race straight into it at the earliest possibility.

For many though, the standard path of high school, undergrad, then med school is expedient, appropriate, and in some cases expected. It's the expected part that can lead to trouble. We often adopt the expectations of others (parents, peers, etc.) and make them our own before we fully appreciate the associated implications. A failed attempt with no prior invested expectation is more easily borne than one loaded with a foregone successful conclusion.

I congratulate you on your successful acceptance to medicine at Manitoba. Work hard but also remember to have a blast; it'll likely be the only time you'll ever do it in your life.

Take good care of yourself,

Tempus Textor.

Archived