Premed 101 Forums

Summer Courses And Gpa

medpak

Hi, 

I am just having a bit of difficulty in calculating my annual gpa. 

I took a summer course after 1st year and after 3rd year. Which year would they count under? 

year 1: full course load

summer course

year 2: 9 courses

year 3: full course load

summer course

year 4: full course load. 

Thanks for the help!

Schools do not count summer courses against a specific year.  Some will include them in your overall GPA.  Most do not.   The summer course you took does not correct for missing full course-load in year 2 as example.    

Some people will take a pre-req course that they believe they cannot get a high mark in during the summer.  You get the course in but do not need to include in your Med School GPA. 

Schools do not count summer courses against a specific year.  Some will include them in your overall GPA.  Most do not.   The summer course you took does not correct for missing full course-load in year 2 as example.    

Some people will take a pre-req course that they believe they cannot get a high mark in during the summer.  You get the course in but do not need to include in your Med School GPA. 

does missing a full course load in second year hurt med school apps in both US and Canada? do u know anything about it?

does missing a full course load in second year hurt med school apps in both US and Canada? do u know anything about it?

It makes you ineligible for U of T's weighting. Also, double check Ottawa's formula, but not sure if they would use their weighting since you didn't take a summer course after 2nd year. I would email them to ask about how they would deal with your situation. Western would not include your second year as one of your two best years. Should not make a difference at other ON schools. Not sure about the US.

Archived