Premed 101 Forums

Unable To Get Into Can/us Md - Is. Do A Good Second Option?

Stats:

GPA: (USA)

Year 1 = 2.5

Year 2 = 3.0

Year 3 = 4.0

Year 4 = 4.0

Year 5 = 4.0

MCAT: 90th percentile

I basically want a backup in the unlikely scenario I'm admitted in Canada, and the 'meh' chance of USMD. Would I be competitive in USDO schools?

I have a fairly well-balanced list of EQs from the age of 16, including 200+ hours of shadowing and a plethora of club exec positions. 

129/128/127/129, 128 on CARs

And the above GPA is for the USA, for Canada just replace the 3rd year 4.0 with a 3.9. The rest is the same.

Im coming from Western so the GPA conversion is very forgiving applying to the US. 

Apply broadly in Canada, assuming your ECs are decent too, and USMD/DO when cycle opens right away. Make sure you have the LORs and correct pre-reqs in check.

129/128/127/129, 128 on CARs

And the above GPA is for the USA, for Canada just replace the 3rd year 4.0 with a 3.9. The rest is the same.

Im coming from Western so the GPA conversion is very forgiving applying to the US. 

So you're SWOMEN? You have enough for an interview at Western then, right?

Are you full course-load in all 5 years (why 5 years) ?  Are any of the year 2 / 3 courses repeats of fails from year 1 ?     You may still be good for U of T as well depending on the distribution of marks.  I think you have some good opportunities still in Ontario and it will come down to your ECs and application.

Stats:

GPA: (USA)

Year 1 = 2.5

Year 2 = 3.0

Year 3 = 4.0

Year 4 = 4.0

Year 5 = 4.0

MCAT: 90th percentile

I basically want a backup in the unlikely scenario I'm admitted in Canada, and the 'meh' chance of USMD. Would I be competitive in USDO schools?

I have a fairly well-balanced list of EQs from the age of 16, including 200+ hours of shadowing and a plethora of club exec positions. 

USDO would be an excellent option. Yes, you would get a seat without any problem (assuming you did the application/interview correctly).

Are you full course-load in all 5 years (why 5 years) ?  Are any of the year 2 / 3 courses repeats of fails from year 1 ?     You may still be good for U of T as well depending on the distribution of marks.  I think you have some good opportunities still in Ontario and it will come down to your ECs and application.

For the abysmal GPA in my first and second years. Wanted to bring my cGPA up a bit. Yup full courseload all years. Any low grades in year 1 were made up for in the summer, no repeats during the regular school term. 

Archived