Premed 101 Forums

How Difficult Is It Actually To Get Into Med?

I have a physician in the family and the main reason why med is so competitive is money. If doctors made much less (say 50-80k) you would not see as many people applying. That's a large part why more spots are not made. Less spots, more demand, more money, it's like a bottleneck. While some may deny it, the truth is, a lot of people trying to get into med do it for the wrong reasons like money and prestige. It's hilarious to me when they try to justify their med ambitions with reasons like "I want to help people." Uh you can help people without having to be a physician ffs.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be compensated for your work.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be compensated for your work.

Of course not. Keep in mind that I am not generalizing and saying ALL people going into medicine are doing so for the wrong reasons. But the reality is, we live in capitalist society, and the vast majority of physicians especially in the USA and Canada make great money, far more than any other degree could net you on average. Thus it is extremely probable that people who have financial motivations will pursue medicine, and that, in my own personal opinion (feel free to disagree of course) is not a good reason for pursuing a medical profession. There are many pre-med's who I have personally met that are like this. Anecdotal evidence which can't be generalized obviously but hear me out. The volunteer work they do is not because they truly believe in or care about the cause but rather they need to get as many hours and something that looks impressive on their applications. This is partly why I didn't want to formally join the "pre med society" in my university. Upon getting to know various people in it I think the reasons why *some* of them are trying to get into medicine are just wrong . All I am saying is I think the medical school application process is flawed in some areas and there are a portion of people who undoubtedly pursue medicine for the wrong reasons. As mentioned by another user many people who are smart, and genuine, and would probably make great physicians are rejected every year and not even given a shot at trying to fulfill their dreams. I personally believe that physician salaries should actually be reduced (not drastically but just enough) as I think people who are motivated more by ideals would be drawn to it instead of those aiming for financial gain.

Of course not. Keep in mind that I am not generalizing and saying ALL people going into medicine are doing so for the wrong reasons. But the reality is, we live in capitalist society, and the vast majority of physicians especially in the USA and Canada make great money, far more than any other degree could net you on average. Thus it is extremely probable that people who have financial motivations will pursue medicine, and that, in my own personal opinion (feel free to disagree of course) is not a good reason for pursuing a medical profession. There are many pre-med's who I have personally met that are like this. Anecdotal evidence which can't be generalized obviously but hear me out. The volunteer work they do is not because they truly believe in or care about the cause but rather they need to get as many hours and something that looks impressive on their applications. This is partly why I didn't want to formally join the "pre med society" in my university. Upon getting to know various people in it I think the reasons why *some* of them are trying to get into medicine are just wrong . All I am saying is I think the medical school application process is flawed in some areas and there are a portion of people who undoubtedly pursue medicine for the wrong reasons. As mentioned by another user many people who are smart, and genuine, and would probably make great physicians are rejected every year and not even given a shot at trying to fulfill their dreams. I personally believe that physician salaries should actually be reduced (not drastically but just enough) as I think people who are motivated more by ideals would be drawn to it instead of those aiming for financial gain.

If those people truly want to be physicians (the hard-working, dedicated to the cause, smart, etc.) will eventually get into medical school. It's those that do it for money that don't end up getting in because they lack the motivation to keep going, especially when they fail.

Realistically if you enter medical school for money that is a very BAD decision. You could easily go into Commerce and be making 70k out of undergrad and 300k/year by the time someone even graduates medical school.

I use my situation and I compare it to my brother - he did commerce, I did science -- he is making ~100k and I am not even in medical school yet... by the time I am a physician he will be far ahead of me.

I disagree with you, I think there are a lot of other and easier ways to make good money in the world and I don't think sacrificing your time and effort to get into medical school and that whole journey is one of them. I'd argue doctor's should be paid more, but that's just my opinion.

To a certain degree I agree with Unsure_med. Being a physician in Canada/US is probably one of very few careers that has the combination of high job security, high income, and social prestige. Being guaranteed a 6-figure pay regardless of medical specialty is a very enticing career, and we shouldn't be in denial that it isn't a motivating factor.

But I disagree with the way Unsure_med may have expressed his/her view. I got the sense that Unsure_med was suggesting that money was the ONLY motivating factor for some pre-meds. And realistically, I'm sure that there are those who don't care about patient care and are really enticed by the high job security, 6-digit income, and societal prestige. But I think (and hope) these are fewer and further in between, than suggested. 

Ultimately, I think it's okay to acknowledge that there are many types of applicants all with diverse motivating factors for becoming a physician: 

• Some may want to genuinely save the world and work with those who are most in need.
  • Others may primarily want to become doctors because of the high income + job security, and being able to help people on top of that is a bonus/cherry on top for them. 
  • There are also those who want to go to medical school so that they can end up in hospital administration, because they really like the business side of health care system.
  • Heck I've even met someone who wanted to go into medicine because having a MD in addition to their pre-existing PhD makes them more likely to get research funding. 

But regardless of one's primary motive, I don't think there is one personality and one unifying reason that makes someone perfect for medical school.

Everyone with their own personalities and motives can become an amazing doctor.

From how I see it, medical schools aren't looking for individual who are ONLY gung ho about patient care. I think they are looking for conscientious individuals who will do the right things when it comes to decision making and patient care.

Obviously, this can mean decision making as a busy internist at a hospital, but it can also mean health policy decision making as a politician at parliament hill or even business decision making as a health care administrator in a hospital.

So if someone wants to earn > $1 million dollars/year as a radiologist and ophthalmologist and that was their reason for choosing the specialty and for wanting to become a doctor, I see no problem with that AS LONG AS they are not compromising patient care by cutting corners.

If those people truly want to be physicians (the hard-working, dedicated to the cause, smart, etc.) will eventually get into medical school. It's those that do it for money that don't end up getting in because they lack the motivation to keep going, especially when they fail.

Realistically if you enter medical school for money that is a very BAD decision. You could easily go into Commerce and be making 70k out of undergrad and 300k/year by the time someone even graduates medical school.

I use my situation and I compare it to my brother - he did commerce, I did science -- he is making ~100k and I am not even in medical school yet... by the time I am a physician he will be far ahead of me.

I disagree with you, I think there are a lot of other and easier ways to make good money in the world and I don't think sacrificing your time and effort to get into medical school and that whole journey is one of them. I'd argue doctor's should be paid more, but that's just my opinion.

Completely agree with this. If you've taken any business electives, you know what TVM (time value of money) is. By the time you end up making money in Medicine, you've lost a lot of money from not working. So if anyone goes into medicine to make money, they clearly don't understand.

Archived