Premed 101 Forums

Preparing For Rc Re-Write

Good on you for starting so early to prep!

What I found to be useful for the RC section was reading through the whole passage quickly and then being able to identify where in the passage mentioned the needed information for the questions. Then quickly go back to discern the answer. This will take a bit of practice but don't get too caught up on completely understanding the passage. Rather, learn how to map out where the information are located and being able to quickly find it to answer the questions.

Good luck!!

On 5/8/2017 at 12:52 AM, sirsam said:

Good on you for starting so early to prep!

What I found to be useful for the RC section was reading through the whole passage quickly and then being able to identify where in the passage mentioned the needed information for the questions. Then quickly go back to discern the answer. This will take a bit of practice but don't get too caught up on completely understanding the passage. Rather, learn how to map out where the information are located and being able to quickly find it to answer the questions.

Good luck!!

In my opinion give up on using RC resources that were prepared specifically for the DAT, because they're all bad. Yes, DAT bootcamp/qvault/kaplan/ DAT genius included. All awful. Look into MCAT resources (CARS is fine, verbal reasoning from before the update is good too). I found those resources much more helpful. It likely won't be similar to what you find on test day but reading comprehension is reading comprehension. I solely practiced using MCAT books (such as examkracers verbal reasoning passages) after I got fed up with the DAT RC resources even though I didn't write the mcat and got a 29 on the real thing. You don't need to rely on strategies that may or may not work (etc if you only practice S&D and get a tone based RC section you're dead in the water) if you just simply get good at reading comprehension. 

My strategy was to read the whole passage while circling key words/jotting down few words on the side of the paper. Then I went on to answer the questions, referring to my notes to help me locate the answers. Once you get enough practice, you get an idea of which key words to circle while your reading to help you out. This strategy worked really well for me and I got 27 in my RC.

MCAT CARS is totally different from DAT. DAT is much easier so I don't think practicing them would be helpful. However, the med forum has a lot of resources and tips on how to do well on CARS which you can apply to your RC.

Ultimately keep practicing and try out different strategies suggested by other people. You'll eventually find the one that works for you! Good luck :)

Archived