Premed 101 Forums

Mac Autobio

Guest Fred

Guest ricorod

I'm in the same boat as you, in that I'm trying to figure out how to answer all these silly(!) questions. Personally, I think the best way to go about this is to answer all, or as many, questions as you can. Then don't look at it for a day or two, have other people read it and give their advice....then keep making changes and corrections until you feel it's perfect. The thing is, with several thousand applications, you have to make your answers "yours" as much as possible. Pain in the butt, I know, but that's what I think is the best way. Anyone else have ideas for us?

rico

Guest arcticaguy

I hear ya. I've been doing pretty much the same thing you suggested ricorod. One thing I found really useful is to write down a list of things you would like them to know about you. Then just try to get those things in to the essays as examples or personal characteristics, etc.

You never know, you may end up with a more cohesive application in the end as well.

good luck to you all.

cheers

Guest AndyStew

If you find the questions silly, it may not be the programme for you! Really investigate the way things are done at Mac. The small group, problem-based learning model is very different from the other medical schools. It works for some, but not for others. Try to find examples in your life that seem reflective of your ability to study medicine here.

Guest gucio93

I agree with Andy! The questions Mac requires you to answer are all VERY relevant to the way the programme runs, and will very likely form the basis of the interview! My advice would be to think hard about applying to Mac if you consider the questions silly!

I scored very high on this section last year. My advise is to not make it into a list of accomplishments. Select an experience that have taught you something about the subject area and write about what you learned and the effect it had on you as a person. I suggest you be honest in your answer because the questions really are designed to gauge your suitability for the MAC teaching method and dispite the pressure I'm sure you feel to get in somewhere you should also consider that the selection process is also about stearing students away from programs where they might feel frustrated or unhappy.

I agree that the questions are not irrelevant but I do think that some of the questions include overlapping information - why? - I think it's because they want to test your knowledge on specific issues in detail - for instance problem based learning and self-directed learning are ALMOST the same thing. There are some major differences, but not enough. If you really the know theh difference between teh two, only then will you be able to properly answre both qeustions.

Actually, problem based learning and self-directed learning are two entirely different concepts. They may share certain attributes, but overall refer to two separate things.

Guest AndyStew

I completely agree with gucio... Problem-based learning and self-directed learning are completely two distinct concepts and ideologies. Although both are used here at Mac, the two of them can not be grouped in the same category. One involves learning from relevant clinical problems, and the latter relates to the method in which you learn. A very clear distinction exists, and should be reflected in your autobiographical submission.

Archived