Premed 101 Forums

OOP

Guest Jim2375

Guest Jim2375

Hi All,

Does anyone know if McMaster has an In-Province quota ?

Or if the one's geographical location is irrelevant ?

Also what GPA do they consider ? Is is the overall GPA ?

Thanks.

Jim

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Not that I'm an expert on Mac, but I'll share what I know. Mac gives geographical preference to Ontarians over OOPs, if I'm not mistaken. The GPA Mac uses is a simple average of ALL courses you have taken in your undergraduate career, including, again, if I'm not mistaken, stuff like summer courses. No special weighting is given, nor is there any way to drop any bad years unless you are a grad student. Hope this helps!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Jim2375

Hi All,

What sort of GPA can get an out of province student an interivew at Mac ? I have an overall gpa of 3.8 OOP.

Shoud I bother applying next year ?

Guest dodobird

definately apply. i'm a west coaster with a 3.11 and received an interview this year. i don't recall the exact stats but i think last year close to 800 oop's applied and about 40 received interivews. good luck.

Guest Jim2375

Hey dodoBird,

Congrats on getting the interview. So if GPA doesnt seem to matter much, what does matter?

I mean do they decide based on the extra-curriculars ?

Thanks so much for the reply.

jim

Guest dodobird

hi jim2375, what got me an interview was certainly not my grades. now if your gpa is 3.8, your application will be much different than mine (and you will have a much better shot at an interview). i think what stuck out about my application was a combination of things - i've done a lot of volunteer work - both in extra-curricular activities during my undergrad, as well as in a variety of medical settings (over 5 years worth). i was also able to demonstrate that, despite some extremely difficult circumstances (sorry for being evasive here), i not only got through my undergrad but also, while doing so, i maintained a strong commitment to people. so basically by demonstraging a strong commitment to people, despite some very big obstacles, i was able to convey a great deal of maturity. to be a doctor you must be prepared to basically put people first and the only way to do this is to make a decided commitment to people. can you demonstrate, in your autobiographical sketch, that you are commited to people and/ or society? what do you have to offer both mcmaster and society? have you experienced any difficulties in life that make you better able to relate to others? what have you learned so far? also, i was able to convey a variety of experiences - research, volunteer, extra-curricular, work, etc... so i never repeated an answer. and be honest! i hope this helps you - really good luck!

Archived