Premed 101 Forums

Tuition

Guest Angela

Guest Angela

Can anyone fill me in on how much tuition is for this coming year plus other fees that will be attached to it (i.e. books, equipment, etc.)?

Thanks,

Angela

Guest sydney

I believe that the tutition is approximately $15,000 CDN per year (Sept to Aug), I can't really guess how much books and instruments will be....a generous estimate, year 1...$1,500 to 3,000?? Depends on what books and supplies you deem important to purchase and how much photocopying you choose do to...it's not cheap!!

Guest gucio93

Hi Angela!

I have not heard that tuition is going up (but I'm not a 100% sure). Last year's tuition was $13,500, additional fees brought it to something like $14,050. The money you spend on books are definitely person dependent. They say budget around $2,000. There are no books that are mandatory, indeed they tell you NOT to buy books for the first few weeks, so that you can figure out, which books you really like/use a lot and thus make an informed purchase. Of course I did not listen and ended up buying books I'm not really using that much. It also doesn't help that I'm a book freak and love to buy them :) . There are very good resources in the library. Many articles are on reserve, and starting with Unit 2 we get reference sheets with each health care problem. Also, the internet has become my bestfriend - a fast connection is defeintely a good investment in my mind. As long as you know how to discriminate between credible and not-so-credible sites, it's a goldmine of information. Similarly, proxy access allows you to do journal searches through Mac (pretty standard for each school by now I guess), and print off many articles. With regards to equipement, sometime in October/November, there will be a meeting set up with representatives of major medical equipement companies and you can purchase the equipment you need at a discount price. The basics include a stethoscope (I believe the nice ones are for around $120-130, maybe a bit more), a pen light, and a reflex hammer. Some people in our class bought ophthalmoscopes/otoscopes (can run as high as $700), but I did not. You can borrow one from the clinical skills lab if you need to practice, and if you need to use one, you can usually find it on the ward or in the office. Hope that helps and good luck! I found the best thing for the last few days of waiting was to keep busy doing things that I liked and that relaxed me, but that occupied my mind and did not let it roam free too much ;) .

Archived