Premed 101 Forums

CARS HELPPPPP (please?)

I do pretty well (1-2 wrong) on the passages that are about psychology, business, economy, and other common stuff.

BUT I ALWAYS get the religion and history passages wrong (get 3/7 or 3/6). After reading those passages, i dont even understand what I just read! 

How can I fix this? I've always hated reading these topics!

THANK YOU :)

2 hours ago, bananabread1212 said:

I do pretty well (1-2 wrong) on the passages that are about psychology, business, economy, and other common stuff.

BUT I ALWAYS get the religion and history passages wrong (get 3/7 or 3/6). After reading those passages, i dont even understand what I just read! 

How can I fix this? I've always hated reading these topics!

THANK YOU :)

I have the exact same problem and this is section is the reason I have to re-write the MCAT again.

I find that I'm more interested in the social science passages generally (some can be not so fun) and that's probably why I do better. I feel that it can be easier to know the authors point of view and the theme of the passage.  On the other hand, the humanities passages are sooo DRY and BORING! 

I'm reconsidering my strategy on how to improve my CARS score and I think one way is to become more familiar with the humanities and while doing so reading critically. 

A strategy I use to use for "boring" passages was I would read them again the next day as review and write out a point to summarize each paragraph and then write out a detailed main idea and the authors tone (Note: this is just for review). As I write, I would always ask myself, (for e.g.) "hey cool, I wonder who Zeus really is?"; Christianity seems to developed over the years, what hardships did they go through?"; "yo, art seems to be evolving with technology, but is this because we cannot be the original masters of the paint brush with our own paint brushes?". With this, it really helped me practicing reading those "art/religious/history" type of passages. Moreover, I think it's best to change your mentally to these types of passages, think of art/religious/history passages as a way to express your spirituality and emotional portions of life rather than a historical brick. 

Archived