Premed 101 Forums

Reference letters

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

I know I should not be worrying about this yet, as I have not even been granted an interview, but in the interest of all, I would like to ask the following:

How important are the reference letters? Does it matter who wrote them? For example, I did not have any doctors write mine. Also, one of my professors told me that she was going to look at my transcript and try and write about how some of my courses would be particularly valuable to Mac; that was EARLY last semester and I have since dropped those courses and changed for new ones?

Any bottomline details on how the reference letters work and how they are weighed?:rolleyes

Guest nicolekavita

Good question macdaddyeh!

I always wondered what weight reference letters have (two of my letters are from my supervisors in my professional field).

I also see that, like myself, this waiting is making your mind race continously:p !

Nicole

Guest macdreams

Good question, indeed ;) ! None of my references are either physicians or professors but they all know me and my work well and 2 of them are in health care.

how exactly are the references weighed? just at collation? (it we're luck to make it that far!! :D )

Mac Dreams

Guest jmh2005

I really can't tell you too much about the reference letters part of the application, other than than fact that they are read ONLY if you get an interview and I believe, only if you attain a certain %-ile on the interview. (this is from hearsay....this is not fact!). So, if you get the 10th %-ile on the interview, I believe you are automatically NOT considered for admission any further, regardless of how high your marks or your sketch were and I believe, your letters are NOT read.

Also, I would think that it is the quality of the letter (within reason, ie. a letter from your best friend may not hold too much weight...) that is the most important thing, but having MDs, certainly would help (how could it hurt??) in my opinion. I had 2 of my 3 letters from MDs, but I also know of several people who did not have one MD reference. Really, it all comes down to your sketch, grades, and the interview, and I think that the letters are an add-on if you are on the bubble.

Other than that, I can't say much more. So, hope you get an interview, do the absolute best you can in the interview exercises and hope for the best. Good luck to all,

J

Guest Carolyn

I didn't have an MD as a reference - I had my sensei, the dean from my business degree and a "mentor" who had known me for years and witnessed my path to medicine - was the chair of a board of a hospital.

I think in the end they only hold a lot of weight if they are bad. I doubt when they are deciding between the last two people on the list it is the reference letter that makes the difference.

So in summarizing my long-windedness... I think it is more important to have 3 good references as opposed to having an MD... Just my two cents.

Carolyn

Archived