Premed 101 Forums

Are electives arranged through the AFMC portal a better idea?

Hi there all,

I am a final year IMG medical student (CSA) very interested in getting onto a FM residency in BC. I am just wondering if it is generally a better idea to arrange my electives through the AFMC portal? Or if it is fine to arrange it through a doctor that is not listed on the AFMC portal?

What I am trying to say is, I am wondering if the fact that certain electives are listed on the AFMC portal indicates that they are therefore superior in terms of connections made/references gained for CARMS matching?

Thanks loads

19 hours ago, lithp said:

Hi there all,

I am a final year IMG medical student (CSA) very interested in getting onto a FM residency in BC. I am just wondering if it is generally a better idea to arrange my electives through the AFMC portal? Or if it is fine to arrange it through a doctor that is not listed on the AFMC portal?

What I am trying to say is, I am wondering if the fact that certain electives are listed on the AFMC portal indicates that they are therefore superior in terms of connections made/references gained for CARMS matching?

Thanks loads

In BC, if you arent going through the portal or through an official elective, you won't be getting the same quality of elective. Self arranged electives via doctor connections, means they cant use UBC letter head and it doesn't get seen as a official elective for CaRMS. Better than nothing of course, but still not as good. Though depending on where you're from, you may not even have access to official electives.

4 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

In BC, if you arent going through the portal or through an official elective, you won't be getting the same quality of elective. Self arranged electives via doctor connections, means they cant use UBC letter head and it doesn't get seen as a official elective for CaRMS. Better than nothing of course, but still not as good. Though depending on where you're from, you may not even have access to official electives.

Thanks John Grisham. You are always so helpful. Thank you.

Two questions:

1. I was not aware that the electives that appear on the portal use UBC letterhead to write their references. Is it pretty certain that this helps one's chances of getting a residency in that province?

2. You mentioned "going through the portal or through an official elective". Are you meaning to say that there are "official electives" that are not listed on the portal? 

Thank you!

15 hours ago, lithp said:

Thanks John Grisham. You are always so helpful. Thank you.

Two questions:

1. I was not aware that the electives that appear on the portal use UBC letterhead to write their references. Is it pretty certain that this helps one's chances of getting a residency in that province?

2. You mentioned "going through the portal or through an official elective". Are you meaning to say that there are "official electives" that are not listed on the portal? 

Thank you!

I am definitely using the wrong terms, but in general my understanding is, if you don't go through UBC and just make your own elective with a doctor you have connections with, it holds less value - as that independent doctor is not allowed to note that it is an UBC-affiliated elective. The only official electives are UBC affiliated electives that you organize through UBC(via direct or portal now that it is becoming more mainstream, where electives may be I am a bit fuzzy when it comes to IMGs).

On 8/26/2017 at 5:35 AM, JohnGrisham said:

I am definitely using the wrong terms, but in general my understanding is, if you don't go through UBC and just make your own elective with a doctor you have connections with, it holds less value - as that independent doctor is not allowed to note that it is an UBC-affiliated elective. The only official electives are UBC affiliated electives that you organize through UBC(via direct or portal now that it is becoming more mainstream, where electives may be I am a bit fuzzy when it comes to IMGs).

Okay, thank you.

Archived