Premed 101 Forums

Too intense for autobio?

Guest QCnut

I know it is very last minute - but does anyone have an opinion on this? About six years ago I went through a difficult time and developed an eating disorder. I went to counselling and have felt healthy and recovered for a long time now.. but if I were to be completely honest I think one reason I want to be a doctor is to try and help people in that kind of situation.. I feel like my experience makes me (in some ways) more sensitive and empathetic..

But looking over my autobio submission I wonder if it's a bit much to try and tackle in such a short space. Also maybe they will just rule me out immediately because they could think I'm unstable?? (i'm not)

Guest redgirl29

Hi QCnut,

Here are my two cents:

If you feel healthy and recovered, I think discussing your situation in your submission can only help you. But that's only something you can decide. I think it is a very good example of how you were able to overcome an obstacle and succeed. I have worked with ED patients and have seen the courage and strength it takes to become fully recovered. It is a long process of assessing your strengths and weaknesses and making changes. I think this is what mac wants to see. Having said that, if you decide to put this in your sketch as well, be sure you are prepared to discuss it in an interview. This can often be very different from discussing something on paper- but it can also be your place to shine :) I don't think anyone will fault you for using your own experiences as motivation for helping others- I think many of us are. I also don't think someone will judge you as unstable from something written in your submission- especially if you are able to show how much you have learned from the experience. Your honesty and sincerity can only help you.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt. This has to be your decision. The most important thing is to feel comfortable with what you are going to discuss.

good luck!

I just wanted to say thank you for posting such a thoughtful response. I still haven't decided what to do.. but it's great to hear from someone who sees where I'm coming from.

Archived