Premed 101 Forums

specific example for each question

Guest doctorfunk

Guest doctorfunk

my responses to a couple of the questions are absent of any specific examples and verifiers. this kind of has me worried because the instructions explicitly state to "provide an example of an activity which supports your response to the question, followed by the number which corresponds to the verifier..."

any opinions? should i mangle the response to fit in an example?

Being able to reinforce your answer to a question with a specific example of something you've done can be very effective. Having said that, you don't want to sound strained when doing so. For most if not all the questions I think you should try to give an example. If you don't mind my asking, which questions were you referring to?

(as always, keep in mind that this is just my opinion, perhaps the moderators would care to give us their take?)

Cedrin

Guest gucio93

I would say don't worry about it. Having marked essays last year, I looked at the overall picture. It is not absolutely necessary to have a specific verifier/example for every single question. Number 15 for example does not lend itself very well to this. I'm not sure what question 5 is, but if your other answers are well supported, don't worry.

Guest wileycoyote

You are great, always so reassuring, which helps us stress-bunnies.

On another note, from your marking experience, would you say most essays are quite good to excellent. Or are there many which clearly show a lack of effort/thought?

Also, can you clear up the humour issue...heard that was a specific trait looked for/marked on...is this true?

Just trying (like everyone else) to get a feel for my chances.

thx

-w

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gucio93

Hey wileycoyote!

Sorry for the long delay - had a couple of crazy weeks. Thanks for the complaiment.

With regards to the quality of essays, in my "batch" there was a range from truly excellent, to average (sounds like everyone else, nice, but no personality), to absolutely unacceptable (arrogant, self-righteous, poor grammar and spelling). I got a sense from my classmates that they had similar experiences.

With regards to humour, it is one of the "criteria," but those are just suggestions, certainly nothing that you would be faulted for if your essay did not include it. I agree with some of the posters in the humour discussion. Humour can be an excellent tool to set your application apart if used wisely and appropriately, but there is a fine line there. I think the best thing to do when using humour would be to run the text by as many impartial parties as possible - friends that pat you on the back no matter how asinine the comment, don't count ;) . Hope that helps.Take care.

Guest wileycoyote

Thanks gucio. I didn't include humour in my essay, so I am glad its not a required element. I hope I fall into the excellent category that you mentioned. I guess there is nothing to do now but pray and dream.

Best,

-W

Archived