Premed 101 Forums

PBL Group Dynamics

Guest peachy

In the UBC forum, Ian made the following comment:

(start quote)

Group dynamics really influence the quality of your PBL experience. Some groups just never seem to "click" for whatever reason. In a way, this can be a positive thing in that people are forced to figure out ways to work with others. It can also totally backfire if people aren't motivated enough to make this effort, and instead withdraw from some of the more active discussions that can take place in a PBL group.

(end quote)

I am curious - does this affect PBL groups at McMaster too, given the emphasis that the admissions process has on the ability to work in groups?

Guest Carolyn

You're right that the admissions process does put a lot of emphasis on group skills. And Ian's comment is really true - but at Mac you are given a lot of feedback from the beginning about your group skills and your behaviour in the group has a big impact on your evaluation and learning.

I have really only had one member of a group who's behaviour impacted our learning - and only a bit - mostly because I was so frustrated with his unprofessional behaviour that I spent too much energy thinking about it instead of learning. It was a great learning experience in "managing" difficult people. Most people have to deal with a difficult group member at some point during the time at Mac but I wouldn't say that it should overly affect your learning here too much as it is usually dealt with.

I think it is probably different here because you must be a good group member in order to learn appropriately in this environment. At other schools where PBL is actually more of a case-based learning style which just supplements their didactic teaching, I'm sure it is not as big a deal... just frustrating for the group members.

Hope that helps.

Guest gucio93

To add to Carolyn's comment, I wanted to stress the importance that good evaluation plays in the group process. I was fortunate that in all my group experiences the tutors insisted on evaluation after each tutorial (group and individual evaluation). Although I have to admit that at times it felt like a real drag to have to go through with it, it made all of us more comfortable with how to tactfully point out what bothers us about someone's behaviour or actions. Emphatic critical feedback really helps the group grow and helps it achieve its goals. Members of all of my groups thus far have all been commited to the PBL approach.

Archived