Premed 101 Forums

Ontario medical school selection process

Guest Kara

Damn...I also didn't get a Mac interview but still consider Ontario medical school's selection process to be fairer or at least broader than other provinces/US. There are some schools that place more emphasis on extracurriculars (Mac), others look more to overall cumulative GPA (U of T), others place more emphasis on recent grades (Ottawa), others have greater emphasis on best years (Western) and some schools place greater emphasis on MCATs (Queens). Unlike the US or other provinces there are even schools like Ottawa and Mac that don't even require MCATs. It seems that Ontario has something to offer to most applicants.

It's too bad that I still couldn't get hold one of those spots:

-easily met Queens and Western GPA but no recent MCAT so I didn't apply.

-missed the Ottawa GPA cut-offs by about .05.

-even if I wrote the MCAT and did well my overall GPA would still not be quite high enough for U of T.

-then there's Mac... where I'm guessing my EC's just didn't cut it

Guest macdaddyeh

Kara, thanks for posting.

I'm glad you see things so transparently; that shows character!

I really hope you apply again. Gauging from your post you can think things through very well.

And don't forget, Ontario gets the newest med school in Canada starting 2004; Northern Medical School may be yet another option for you next year!

Don't lose hope; you're gonna make it!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah - definitely apply again!! And I'd REALLY suggest writing the MCAT (again?). . . in some ways, getting into medical school is a numbers game. The more schools you're eligible for admission, the much greater chance you'll get in.

Archived