Premed 101 Forums

Bell Ringer Study

Guest IRNBRUD

Guest IRNBRUD

Just wanted everyone to know that the 10 station mini-interview study that took place last year will be continued this year. I received a letter asking me to participate in the study this morning.

Did anyone take part in this last year?

IB

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi there IRNBRUD:

I just got the same letter. It can't hurt to participate; as the letter states it will neither help nor hinder your probability of gaining admission, but it could be fun! Besides, they offer you $$ to participate:rollin .

Now being tired or nervous is another thing becuase I'm sure by the end of the day, I will exhausted. I haven't decided yet. As far as I'm concerned however, Mac is being innovative again in its admissions process. I have no insight however, because I've never done this before either. When are you interviewing again?

Signed,

undecided in Toronto

Guest jmh2005

I did participate last year and it was very worthwhile. I don't have time to give you details now, but I would sign up...plus you get $40.00 for 2 hours of your time.

Like I said they may be going to this type of interview next year, so just in case....at least you know what you are in for...just a suggestion...

Oh, and yes, I was physically and mentally exhausted when I did my MMI (they realize that...) so no worries! :)

Guest IRNBRUD

Peter,

Thanks for the link. Interesting discussion in particular the negative correlation between GPA and MMI score! I just heard the comment at the end about two murderers having graduated from mac :eek

Macdaddyeh,

I will be interviewed on the first weekend. I have signed up for the study. Just note that you should respond asap if you want to take part as it apparently filled up very quickly last year.

j- I'll be surprised if I can put two sentences together after the interview but I'll give it a try. I didn't watch the OMEN thing that closely but it seems that those who participated last year were more likely to get in. Seems to have proven true in your case so I'll give anything a try!!

IB

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi there again:

Well I too have decided to participate. It looks very interesting. I have not looked up the link yet, but where should I look one I go to the site?

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Guys,

I also participated in the MMI last year - I thought it was really interesting and would recommend it if you have the time.

Guest MDWannabe

I agree that it's a great idea to participate in this project. It will also give you a bit more insight into how the school thinks. I did both last year, and had a blast (although, like the other participants, I was brain dead by the end - I started at 7:15 and was out around 4:30).

In answer to an earlier note, I attended a grand rounds session in Toronto last June, where they pointed out that while the MMI's correlation with ultimate outcome (if they can actually measure that) is less than perfect, it appears to be a better predictor than the current process. One interesting thing to note is that there appears to be a high correlation between people who participated in the MMI and the people who were ultimately accepted into the program (this is second hand info, but I understand it to be reliable).

Besides, to reiterate an earlier point, if they change the process next year and you don't get in this year, you'll have a leg up on the new process.

On another note, I wanted to take the opportunity to offer all you invitees an unsolicited piece of advice. Bring a water bottle to the interview! You will get parched and will be in constant need of a drink. Beyond the questions of whether to bring notes and/or 'visual aids' with you (most people I know didn't), or whether to wear a suit (virtually everyone did), keeping hydrated will be your most important objective.

Good luck to all of you!

Guest macdaddyeh

I took a peek at the link and the idea looks really good; time-effective, cost-effective and a likely indicator of success. Whoever posted the link originally, thanks for pointing it out!:)

I imagine it will be gruelling b/c all the questions/scenarios will be case-based, but I'm looking forward to it...

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Macdaddyeh, you'll have a good time with the MMI this year. I participated last year, and found it to be a lot of fun. Although it was after my interview, and I was pretty drained from the day (6:45 am check in time), I thought that this interview style really probed many aspects of my personal character, belief system, ability to communicate, knowledge and problem solving ability, and was a better measure of my suitability to medicine than the traditional 3 on 1 interview or simulated tutorial. Geez, that last sentence was really long!! Anyway, I enjoyed the 10 mini interviews, and the ability to participate in the pilot study that may truly influence the way medical school interviews are performed in the future. I'm not sure if I am going to participate this year, simply because the session would start at 4pm for me and end around 6pm. That would make my day very long indeed, and I wanted to make it to the tour (which I missed last year) at 4:30pm. I know they will not be short of volunteers, that's for sure!!

~JZ

Guest macdaddyeh

GWB:

oh poop, I forgot about the tour. Oh well, maybe people can answer my question in general or take me on a wee personal tour. I think we're going through at the same time aren't we? 1005 check in. 30 March? So, if I have questions can I email you before and/or after the interview?

PS. Did you apply elsewhere?

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Macdaddyeh,

no prob man...PM or email me for sure. I am on March 30th indeed at 10:05am. And yeah, I applied to Mac, Calgary, U of T and Dal. Rejections from Calgary so far - can you believe they had 800 OOP applicants?!?! Incredible for them! I am sure they will have a stellar class next year. Waiting to hear from U of T... the waiting never seems to end. Because I participated in the American school aplication process this year, waiting for me started around June!! I have become a very patient man :)

~JZ

Guest sporter1992

Hi folks,

Does everyone with a MAC interview automatically get an invite to the MMI? I haven't received any information asking me to participate yet, and I think I would like to. Anyone else in this situation?

thanks.

Guest stargirl

Could someone who has participated give a brief overview of what the MMI consists of....My impression from the posts so far is that you go to a station, they ask a question, you answer, the bell rings and you move to the next station. Is that right? Do they ask you multiple questions at each station? Is there only one person at each station doing the interviewing, or multiple individuals?

Thanks in advance for any insight!! :)

Guest macdaddyeh

Sporter1992:

The invitation to the MMI appears very vague or general. For that reason I can neither confirm nor deny if the MMI invite was a process of random selection or an open invitation, but I imagine the latter.

Guest Carolyn

I believe they are only doing the MMI project on one weekend this year as opposed to both which would explain why only some received information on it.

Carolyn

Guest stargirl

Thanks Peter...unfortunately, this computer is from the dark ages and isn't hooked up with audio :rolleyes ...i'll try later using my roomate's laptop...

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Stargirl,

From what I can remember (it was the end of a long and stressful day and week), you go to each station, have a discussion with the interviewer/actor and then when the bell rings, go to the next station.

There are no right or wrong answers, and for some of them, it's more of a discussion between you and the interviewer - therefore, it's not always a specific number of questions. You don't need any "science" knowledge. Sometimes, there is an interview/scorer and an actor, where you would role play a situation and the scorer grades you. This, I'm guessing, is to look at your communication skills.

Hope this helps.

Archived