Premed 101 Forums

Northern/Remote Community Applicants

Guest bug

I live in an underserviced community in northwestern ontario.

I received a rejection letter from mac :(

All other students who I know who applied from a northern or underserviced community did not get an interview either.

This concerns me.

Mac has been kind to northern students in the past...

Has anyone from a northern underserviced community received an interview? A rejection?

Any comments.....

Please let me know.

Is it because of the proposed northern med school, which is schedualed to open in 2004, but unfortunately, that looks unlikely....

Guest martyb

Hi bug

Sorry I can't help with the underserviced issue, I'm from Ottawa. I was wondering, though, why you said that it did not seem likely that the Northern medical school would open in 2004. Do you have inside info? I was rejected by Mac and still don't know about Ottawa, so I'm looking to the future. I'm not especially interested in rural medicine, but I was hoping that the school might at least take the pressure off a bit (ie open some spots at other Ontario schools).

marty

I am completing my fourth year at Lakehead University, one of the joint school for the Northern Medical school...

Thus far, there is still much to be done in terms of getting the northern med school up and running.

Several problems are currently occuring, firstly, there is trouble attracting and retaining deans and faculty, secondly there are funding issues (what a surprise), third, there are building issue (still need to construct a place on campus to have the med school)...

These are just a few of the pressing issues.

The school also needs to be approved as well, before it can open for business. And before approval can take place everything else must be taken care of (ie faculty, course content, buildings, fund, ect.)

Not too many people here are hopeful about the prospect of it opening at the proposed date of 2004.

It doesn't mean it won't happen, it just really does not seem likely.

Still curious about other northern students?

Any interviews at Mac?

Guest grandmellon

I registered myself as from orillia.. which is somewhat north... does that count? (I got waitlisted... but am hoping to get called in for a n interview) ::D

Guest Carolyn

Hi -- I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get an interview this year.

My understanding is that there isn't a special stream for people from the North anymore. That was stopped approximately 4 or 5 years ago. All of Ontario is considered in the same group... I'm actually not sure if the geographic consideration even occurs until the final collation... You might want to call the office to clarify.

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey Bug:

I'm not from the north, but my wife is. She is from such a small community that if I posted it here there is a chance that some people might know who I am (not that this would be devastating or anything). Let's just say it's somewhere between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. But if you look at the vast expanse of Ontario, its not TOO north...

Anyways, I have always been interested in practising or working in the north. Every summer (and Christmas) I go up there and it is beautiful, tranquil and I've even spoken to the docs who work at the local hospital and they are very happy with their working conditions.

I don't know why more people are not interested in working up north. I know Mac has a link with a northern program via zonedocs: zonedocs.com/locum.htm

I too will be watching the progress of Northern Medical School because it does interest me. However I foresee as well some incredible hiccups getting any program started up, let alone a med school. Right now there is not much info published, but I imagine no MCAT and few if any prereqs--like MAC, but what do I know.

Are there a lot of people up there interested in applying? I will likely have diffidculty proving my interest because I was not raised or born up north.

In the meantime however I have applied to Mac and have received an interview:) so we'll see!

Guest dogpaddler

I live and grew up in a small underserviced community in Northern Ontario. I was lucky enough to be granted an interview at Mac on April 6th. I'm looking forward to the experience regardless of the outcome. There is still much luck involved... at least until I get in, then I'll be sure they chose with careful consideration.:)

I'm still hopeful that the Northern School will open in 2004 but I'm not holding my breath. Dr. Strasser has been very impressive in my opinion - a real straight shooter.

I'd guess that the first few years of the Northern School will have more than the usual quota of local applications and more "life experience" applications. There are many people who would like the opportunity but can't justify uprooting their families to do it.

Let's see macdaddyeh: Whitefish? Nairn Centre? Espanola? Little Current? Massey? Elliot Lake? Blind River? Desbaret? Thessalon? Am I close?;)

Guest macdaddyeh

Dogpaddler:

You're getting close!;) .

Just the thought of all those towns makes me shiver; one because I love them and two because highway 69 is deadly!

Anyways, keep guessing:lol

Does that mean you attend Laurentian? When is your interview? Congrats by the way....

Guest dogpaddler

macdaddyeh:

I finished my undergrad 12 years ago. I never attended Laurentian. Actually, way back in 1987 I started at Mac with vague intentions of applying to medical school. I wasn't ready then; I guess I've just taken the long way home (I hope). My interview is on the 6th.

Webbwood? McKerrow? Iron Bridge? Lively? Spragge? Spanish? Whitefish Falls? Algoma Mills?

Guest macdaddyeh

Maybe I'll reverse the question. Seeing your obvious familiarity with the region, where do YOU live? (unless that is mutually disclosing!)

BTW, keep guessing!!!!!:lol (but you're REEEEEALLY close, getting colder with the last list)...

Anyways, best wishes on your upcoming interview; maybe if and when we get in we'll talk about northern issues in more detail...

Guest northerngal

Well, as you can tell by my posting name, I'm from northern ontario. I got the big fat rejection from Mac also. This is not the first time I've been rejected from there either. I guess the motto, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" applies to me. I'll be applying again next year. I'm very interested in the Northern Medical School, although like you, Bug, I think that the start date of fall 2004 is a little unrealistic. So much to do in such a short period of time. I guess all we have to do is wait and see.:)

Guest dogpaddler

...is where I currently reside. I'd like to remain relatively anonymous as the whole application thing is quite confidential at the moment. I have a business to sell if I get in but plan on sticking around if I don't. It would be best if my clientele don't know what I'm considering unless I know for sure.

Naughton? Willisville? Mindemoya? Birch Island? Bruce Mines? Pretty soon I'm gonna hafta get out a map.

Guest jmh2005

There are definately a few of us who are 'originally' from up North, so don't give up hope...Sudbury, Timmins, South Porcupine, TBay and a place near Marathon I believe....I've been a Southern Ontario transplant x 10 years due to my many years at Mac, but love getting home to visit the fam in the summer and swim in Long Lake (I avoid the dreaded winter as much as possible due to Hwy 69 too!!!).

Here's hoping some of you Northerners get the news you're looking for!!

P.S. I was rather impressed with the list of communities listed between the Suds and the Sault...I had forgotten about a few of those...:o

Archived