Premed 101 Forums

Do I qualify as an IP?

Hello everyone, 

I went to high school in NS. I moved to Ontario, worked for a year and I am now in university for my fourth year. I basically spent only one year as a non student. The criteria says: 

• You are an independent student** (see definition below) and have resided continuously in the Maritime provinces for two periods of twelve consecutive months immediately prior to the start of the medical program (Aug 15 for the purposes of determining residency). This excludes time spent as a full-time student at a post-secondary institution or

By that, does my time as a student in Ontario makes for continuation of my IP status?

I would contact the admissions office to make sure what status you would have. Where were you living prior to high school in NS? It seems that, according to their guidelines, you could be considered in province, but I think it would be crucial to hear it directly from them. If so, then you have proof that they said you are in province. 

so because you are back to being a full time student, you are actually a dependent student. So it depends on where do your parents live right now. If they are in NS you are an IP, if they are in Ontario, you are not IP....

if you graduate, you are back to being an IP for a two years and lose that IP status if you dont move back within those two years. 

Archived