Premed 101 Forums

Self-evaluation of video component of interview.

Guest Lynlloyd

Guest Lynlloyd

I have a question regarding the self-evaluation component of the video exercise.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the criteria to use when self-evaluating your responses intended to elicit knowledge of human emotion?

Could the evaluators be looking for 1) how our own emotions were stimulated 2) maybe our knowledge base of emotions or 3) whether we thought we correctly identified the emotions we saw?

I'm unsure how to approach the "third question".

Thanks, Lynlloyd.

Guest nubar89

Lynlloyd,

I too have wondered how to prepare for this component of the interview. From what I can gather, it is largely a test of your perception, and ability to empathise. Therefore, I don't really think that you can do much to prepare for it.

I have heard that you should write small and quickly, and that your answers should be consistent.

With regards to the 3rd question, I think the point is to see if you are able to effectively evaluate your own preformance, i.e. remember question #9 from the 15 questions? (How do you know that you have learned enough without relying on external standards?). I would approach this cautiously. In other words, if you feel that you really did well, say that you think you did good. Of course the trick is to not sell yourself short at the same time.

Hope this helps... feel free to add any comments or ideas.

NBR

Guest McMastergirl

Hi,

I am a 2nd yr Mac med student and I remember being very confused about this as well. My advice is not to look too deeply into what they are asking. For one thing, you won't have time or space to write a polished essay. My experience was this: saw a 5 or 10 minute video about a girl whose mother took thalidomide, so she was born without legs. You saw the parents being interviewed about their daughter. Then you were asked very simple questions about what emotions they were feeling, then asked to give evidence for your answer, then asked to evaluate your responses. That's it. I don't know if they ask the same questions every year, but I think they are basically looking for the following:

1) can you identify human emotions

2) can you back up what you say

3) can you self-evaluate

I think it is relatively straight-forward!

Work quickly!

;)

Guest Carolyn

I agree with McMaster girl... If you truly must prepare as you are afraid you will freeze under the stress... I would suggest thinking about how you develop your opinions of the people around you in the grocery store, bus/subway, on tv etc based on things like mannerisms, voice inflections, gestures, sitting forward, moving back etc... you can use these to 'back up' some of your statements on why you think a person is feeling a certain emotion.

With respect to the self-evaluation - demonstrate that you know yourself and your biasies... you can state how these may have affected your interpretation of the emotions displayed...

It really isn't hard at all. While it might seem froofry - it is a big part of medicine so I think (and don't quote me I'm just a student here!) they are trying to just screen out people with no EQ...

Hope that helps..

Guest Lynlloyd

Thanks for all your ideas....I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

I like the approach......

demonstrate that you know yourself and your biasies... you can state how these may have affected your interpretation of the emotions displayed...

I also appreciate the reassurance of not get too uptight about it. I've been a nurse for a long time and maybe I'm trying to read too much into it.

I guess reading emotions kind of comes "naturally" to me (not to blow any trumpets here) so I'm worried about getting into "analysis paralysis" when specifically trying to figure out how I have reached certain conclusions and then evaluating the process.

Thanks again,

Lynlloyd.

Guest jmh2005

Lynlloyd,

You have very little space as you will see, so I won't worry too much about over analyzing things. The best advice I can give is to simply think about how you 'read' others everyday in your work, especially your patients/clients. How do you know if someone is happy, frightened, sad, sick, worried, perplexed, scared...use those skills which are now inherent in you as a professional to answer the questions. As a former health care professional myself, I totally understand where you are coming from...but use that to your advantage, utilize your experiences...I think this can only be a bonus...Best of luck!!!

Guest jmh2005

I was an Occupational Therapist who just never found her niche, but knew that medicine was it...I worked for only 3 years in pretty much every area of OT except peds...I did my OT ed at Mac as well (and my undergrad...yes, I've been there awhile...) and knew that PBL was the way to learn the fundamentals of medicine and it is great! Best of luck to you...if you get in we would have a nice Oakville contingent...that bodes well for Halton if we all stay!! Take care!!

Jess

Guest newbee

Hey did you do the Master's OT program or the undergrad version that was in place before.

BTW Why did you not just go for Meds after the first undergrad if that's what you wanted?

Thanks

Guest jmh2005

This thread is getting off track, but I'll be happy to answer you question...and fix up the folder later on...

I thought of meds in undergrad but really thought I wanted OT and only applied to OT at Mac and UT...when I started learning stuff in OT about more of the medical sides of things, I realized I had made a mistake. I finished the program (the bachelor's program then...) then started apply to med...I worked in an ICU and acute medicine floor that made me want to study medicine even more...I was seeing med students and clerks all the time and realized I had what it takes...

Enough about me, good luck to you all...

Guest doctorfunk

Regarding this portion of the interview - are we able to write down our observations as the video proceeds, or do we wait until it concludes before beginning our analysis?

Guest jmh2005

You are given a piece of paper to write on (1) and a pencil...you can take notes througout the entire video...they make you leave everything when you leave...one piece of advice...take notes, but keep your eyes on the screen while you write...I said in the feedback section that I should have been more attentive to the video vs. worring about taking copious notes...

They tell you to turn over the paper and you answer the 3 questions...I believe you then have 25 minutes, exactly...good luck!!

Guest muckypuppy

Is it preferable to list the emotions and feelings or to discuss them incontext?

For example:

1.Failure, saddness, disgust

2.Cathy felt that she was a failure in the eyes of her mother. She was sad that she had damaged their relationship. Cathy expressed disgust at herself for having been a prostitute etc.

Thanks

Guest jmh2005

I think you may be reading a bit too much into the exercise...read the above posts from McMaster girl, myself and Carolyn...they are not looking for an intepretation...basically what did you see and how did you come to those conclusions, ie. body language of the patient, tone of voice, posture, etc... And of course, the self-eval piece!!

Some one told me to watch a TV program for 5 minutes, time it...and answer the questions that will be asked of you...these are things you do everyday without even thinking...how do you know when someone is sad, exhilarated, depressed, sick, etc...

Good luck :)

Guest jmh2005

Well, this is more of a personal thing...some people answer questions with more of a point-form style, while others perfer prose. I honestly couldn't tell you what to do...I for one, did write in complete sentences (very small writing...) but I can't say what others have done...just one more piece of advice...answer the question EXACTLY and follow the instructions that are given to you...if you do that, you will have no problem with the exercise. Several of my classmates didn't even know what the exercise entailed (ie. knew really zero about this part of the interview prior to the day) and they got in, so don't worry too much...just think about emotions people display and how you recognize them in others. Hope that helps! :)

Archived