Premed 101 Forums

Chances for UofT

Hi guys,

I was looking for a general opinion on my competitiveness for UofT. My 3 year GPA works out to be around 3.87 and my DAT AA is 22 and PAT of 19. I am currently a med student in the US but want to switch into dentistry in Canada, really doubt that would make any difference

On November 12, 2017 at 0:49 AM, Steins;Gate said:

1) Are you sure you want to switch to dentistry?

2) OMSAS GPA is what U of T uses. Is 3.87 OMSAS GPA?

3) You may interview with those stats but you would be ranked closer the bottom of the interviewees heading into the interview. However, the interview is going to matter much more at that stage.

I agree - and additionally, if you get to interview stage the med school experience from the states will give you good material content for your interview

On 11/11/2017 at 10:49 PM, Steins;Gate said:

1) Are you sure you want to switch to dentistry?

2) OMSAS GPA is what U of T uses. Is 3.87 OMSAS GPA?

3) You may interview with those stats but you would be ranked closer the bottom of the interviewees heading into the interview. However, the interview is going to matter much more at that stage.

3.87 is my OMSAS gpa, otherwise it's around 3.94. On their website it says the average gpa was around 3.85 last year, so not sure how mid 3.9 was reported by another user. I'll apply and see what happens! Thanks guys! Is my DAT score limiting? 

11 hours ago, doc123 said:

3.87 is my OMSAS gpa, otherwise it's around 3.94. On their website it says the average gpa was around 3.85 last year, so not sure how mid 3.9 was reported by another user. I'll apply and see what happens! Thanks guys! Is my DAT score limiting? 

It was reported by me because I'm actually in the class and Stein's;Gate actually has access to that info lmao... Also you can see the website is lagging in info by about a year or so

The website is not really updated. I don't even think they have posted the statistics for the class of 2021. I can safely say that the accepted GPA was 3.93 (incl. Masters and PhD students which get their own bonus). So the GPA of undergrads who received acceptance is in the mid 3.9s. Anecdotally, based on speaking to my classmates, they all were in the mid 3.9s. 

A 3.87 still warrants a application to the program but I personally know individuals with that GPA and a decent DAT who did not interview.

Hope this helps.

Now you may think people accepted off the waitlist had a lower GPA but from the people I know who got off the waitlist (including yours truly), average undergrad GPA was in the mid 3.9s. I recall in the interview email that the average GPA invited for interviews was a low 3.9 (once again not accounting for a bonus for Masters or PhD). 

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Archived