Premed 101 Forums

Kudos to Mac.

Guest Lynlloyd

Guest VwDubber

Heya BlackBird,

VwDubber, Macdreams, and lynlloyd, I was happy to come and share my experiences, since the last session I had with you guys (before my interview) was so helpful. I would have been a disaster at the interview without it!

Dittooo here :) Practice practice practice right? :eek

VwDubber, I'm kind of full of it, aren't I (about the whole not-worrying-about-the-interview thing)? I'll be worrying and stressing and overanalyzing right along with all of you until May 31st!

It's all good ... we'll just blame your former mindset on what were you smoking :hat ;)

A very BORED VDub-

Guest Namgalsip

Dannyboy, you have my full support as well. If there is anything you think we can do to help PLEASE let us know. You are a great individual and I think you would make a wonderful physician. Mac will be at a real loss without you. I really hope things will work out at the end and please know that you have been a great support to us all.

Blackbird, thank you soooo much for coming out in that horrible storm to help us. Your help is truly appreciated!!!

Nams

Guest Blackbird15

Nams, you're wellcome! Thank YOU for sharing your interview experiences with us.

VDub'... what i've been smokin'... hee, hee, hee:rollin

Look who learned how to use emoticons!

I spend too much time on this website...

Blackbird singing...

Guest grandmellon

I just found out how to log-in.. so many cool features.. hehehe... I just wanted to thank Nams, Dannyboy, Lynlloyd, VwDubber, Blackbird, Macdreams for all being such an encouragement and support to me as I prepare for the Interrogation. Hehehe (Ok.. thats not really waht I think of it.. its a casual conversation discussing my positive attribute and desire to go into medicine... talking to my "parents friends") We just had another dumping here in london with tonnes of snow... I hope that it warms up for friday! I wanna wear shorts into my interview :rollin

Guest grandmellon

whats with my computer.. submits the post before i am done! Anyways,,, I wish I could have joined you all tomorrow for the session but I have so many ass's (rghmmm... assignments) due.. but I'll be thinking of you all! See you all in September hehehee... Does anyone have an interview this saturday still?????:eek

Guest Lynlloyd

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because

he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears,

however measured or far away."

Henry David Thoreau

1817-1862, Writer and Philosopher

Lynlloyd

Guest MCL4MD

I hate to beat this topic to death but I just wanted to put in my two cents. I sympathize with you Dannyboy, it sounds like you are in a very difficult position at the moment. I applaud you for your strong family values and academic success.

But, I also believe that MDfun has made some valid points. I don't think the issue is whether or not you would make a great physician, because I can see from reading your posts that you are an excellent candidate. I think the issue is your dedication to the profession. Medicine is not a career, it is a lifestyle . It requires an immense amount of flexibility and unfortunately, many sacrifices as well. The interview is not the hard part, it is only the beginning. Medical school is also full of ups and downs. Your schedule can change in a moments notice and you have to be prepared for that. Furthermore, as a physician, you will be obligated to make sacrifices for your patients because this is what the profession requires. As an extreme example, if you were running a code in the Emerg and a half an hour past the end of your shift would you leave the patient? I would hope not, such is the life of a doctor.

I consider it a privilege to have been admitted to medical school. Whenever I have the slightest moment of frustration I think about the 3800 applicants who would gladly take my place. Although it seems that you have come to terms with not being able to interview I urge to reconsider your motivation. There are 3400 people who would have given anything to have the opportunity you have been given.

Good luck.

Guest Dannyboy

I am really not understanding these posts:

Really, give me some credit---does ANYONE really think I would leave an emerg shift or any workshift when there was an obligation that I needed to attend to? NO I am the one who wouldn't think twice about working a double shift to ensure that a patient had the right care---I can't make the interview because of my committments. That same sense of devotion and obligation TO OTHERS will feed into a medical career with ease. The person who would abandon their obligations to go to an unscheduled interview is the type to leave a critical work situation. Not saying they would but they have what it takes to.

I've owned a business, I essentially raised my two sisters, I've worked since I was 14, I've raised a son without anyone's help, I graduated top student in my class, I am just completing a STUPID MA...it goes on and on. Do people honestly think that I don't know about sacrifice?

Do people honestly think I don't know what it takes to be a MD?

Do people really think I am not flexible enough for med school? I can guarantee you few single parents out there will say I am not a juggling wonder. I am the time managment queen. And when you are a parent there is one solid guarantee in life: anything can and will happen. All parents I know are very flexible people who adapt easily and readily to the steady stream unplanned events that happen on a daily basis. This flexibility and ability to quickly and effectively adapt transcends every aspect of their lives--it has to.

For those of you who have wondered what is meant by THINKING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX, these posts are excellent examples of people assuming a myopic stance and not seeing a situation outside a situational box. You need to look beyond my not being able to work out this weekend---the thought that my not being able to make a last minute weekend interview is being held up as some barometer of my committment level, flexibility or WORK ETHIC (cuz welcome to the real world--anyone who won't work a critical extra 30 mins has a terrible work ethic) is an insult.

No med school wants someone who would disregard their social, economic, familial, academic, research, volunteer, and work committments to make an interview that was rescheduled at the last minute. Mac certainy doesn't.

Writing that hey, it's not the end of the world if I don't interview and it certainly is not the end of the world if I don't become a dr, is an indication of my having many options available--it is a clear indication that I am a mature, well-rounded, confident, individual. You don't need to be desperate to be a dr; you don't need to be living and breathing that dream from the time you could walk to be a good dr---that myth died a couple of decades ago.

Do you think I am wrong??? DON'T CONFUSE MOTIVATION WITH DESPERATION OR LACK OF OPTIONS. I am highly motivated but hardly desperate. I am not saying you are desperate--I don't know you but I certainly don't think you are. I've met many, many people who were higly motivated to practice medicine and who were great candidates but decided not to pursue that path because of very valid reasons, all of which concerned honouring their responsibilities. I think motivation is actually a rather tiny part of the dr deal.

Think about the questions that ALL med schools ask interviewees: why medicine? what will you do if you don't get into medicine? Think about what they want to see on your autos---life and work related skills. Being fueled solely by MD dreams will get you just left of nowhere.

Mac definitely wants people who can and will adapt with ease--THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID. I just made the decision to put my obligations first and the interview second. I adapted to the situation, evaluated it extensively, and ultimately decided that if the interview works, it works but this weekend involves a *unique* constellation of personal and work responsilbities that need my attention.

If anyone else is going to take shots at me over this situation, please do it via personal link or start some other seperate post. This negative stuff does not belong on a Mac site. I *really* appreciate those who have supported me (you ROCK but I knew that before) with their responses but I don't want them to have to continue to do so hence, save any attacks for my personal link.

For what it is worth, Mac was very responsive to my situation---EVERYONE I spoke with today said that prior responsibilities/obligations come first and the interview a distant second. If it is possible on my end, they are going to try to get me in and out in 1 1/2 hours.

Soooooo looks like if I were to make it, I would be breezing into Hamilton after handling 3 conflict situations, attending a research meeting, working on a paper outline the day prior THEN doing a harm reduction thing at a rave Saturday night (which means being up all night)...so funny. Gosh, you look very tired......yeah, I was raving all night.......gosh......now THAT situation is up for anyone to critique.......

Guest macdreams

So well put:

DON'T CONFUSE MOTIVATION WITH DESPERATION OR LACK OF OPTIONS.

I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my mind about you :) You're an amazing person :D

m.d.

Guest MayFlower1

Man,

I can't believe the hard time you're getting over this one. I commend you on placing your priorities where your heart is...sometimes being true to yourself does mean making significant sacrifices as you have/may do. I am also a single parent...while I can't compare my situation to yours...I do know what it's like to be "on my own"...it's hard sometimes not to have a support system.

I personally hope you can find a way to make your interview or, alternatively, find a way to get it rescheduled based on your difficult situation.

I wish you good luck.

Peter :\

I also wanted to let you know that I respect and value the position you are taking on this messy situation. I really hope that Mac can accomodate you, that is there responsibility.

As it has already been articulated, many of us poster do support you and genuinely hope the very best for you, including me.

Good luck, he's hoping Mac makes this work!

bug

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Dannyboy,

I don't know what interview time you've been given but if you prefer a 6:45 check-in and out by 9:30 on Saturday let me know. I'll be MORE than happy to give this one away (for pretty much any other time spot).

Nams

Guest Blackbird15

Hey Dannyboy,

I'm glad that it looks like your situation might be resolved. I agree that the same level of commitment, responsibility and dedication that would lead you to potentially give up your interview would also make you an excellent physician.

Blackbird

Guest grandmellon

Dannyboy.. I'm really impressed with you and your committment to your family, friends and work... that really show dedication and compassion.... What we need in Doctor... You're the best!

Jeff ;)

Guest Lynlloyd

If not medicine....have you ever considered journalism???

I am truly impressed with your ability to articulate through the written medium.

I'm pulling for you...I really hope it works out. Apologise if my "if it's really important, go for it" comment was insensitive. Obviously, I had no idea of the number of committments you have-----I really was only trying to RA RA.

I'm coming down to Gerstein tonight so maybe I'll see you.

Lynlloyd.

Guest Dannyboy

Thanks all...haven't checked my personal link yet...should be an interesting read.

Lynnloyd: not for one itty bitty milli-micro-second did I ever think you meant any harm. The comment hurt but that was more my thing than your thing. The diagnosis you suggested last week may have been bang on; not good news but...thanks. Funny, I get asked to write quite often. I don't get it but, it's a compliment I suppose. I have the titles of a few books I'd like to write but, ummm, no text yet. I think I could be the ultimate match-box cover writer.

Nams, in case I can't make it after work tonight, I wouldn't be able to get to Hamilton for a 6:45 start unfortunately but mucho thanks for the offer.

I am very confident that none of the things I need to get done this weekend are things that almost anyone of this forum would not do (I hesitate with the STD harm reduction rave gig). My weekends are NEVER as busy as the one coming up. Murphy's Law, you know, things piled up on one weekend I needed to be free; all are important and time-sensitive. Gotta do something about that Murphy's Law........

Archived