Premed 101 Forums

Kudos to Mac.

Guest Lynlloyd

Guest Lynlloyd

A great big Kudos to Mac. Despite SARS, ice storn, university closure and relocation, the staff and students did a phenomenal job.

Thanks for making it a great day despite confusion and long wait times.

I have posted info about my interview under "Less than 24 hours left for me".

Shelleyrn and jaybird...what can I say...what a pleasure to meet up with you guys today. Can you imagine if we all got in!!!!! Whoa..... I don't think Mac would ever be the same again!!

Let's keep in touch!!

Lynlloyd.

Guest VwDubber

Hey Dannyboy,

I understand where you are coming from. For me, having to reschedule my interview would have been very inconvenient.

Did you receive a call from Mac? I was not home when they called, but Laura who left the message seemed very accomodating. I called her back and at first was NOT GIVEN the option to interview. HOWEVER, I mentioned to her that I was aware of the fact that they would be interviewing out of province applicants and ask if I could be accomodated for on sat instead of next week ... and that was it. I know they are interviewing tomorrow as I overhead .... so you may want to see if they can squeeze you in for Sunday.

You've come so far. Hang in there.

VDub-

Guest Dannyboy

Not to put a damper on things but there are alot of us out there who were NOT given the option of going ahead with the interview. I was NOT given an option and having my interview rescheduled until sometime next weekend (no time will be given until Weds at the earliest) means that there is an excellent chance that I will have to cancel. I had to do scheduling gymnastics to get this weekend off---taking another weekend off so soon is not a possibility. Yeah, I told the woman I spoke to about my situation. So, it does not look like Mac will be a go for me this year and that means that a LOT of work and money and mental fatigue will be lost. I just don't think that some people should have been given the option but other not--it does not seem fair. Consequently, although I am genuinely thrilled that the situation got worked out for some, I am not very impressed.

Guest Dannyboy

I was told that Sunday was 100% not going to happen--NO interviews would be held that day. I was supposed to interview on Sunday so that would have obviously been ideal. The options have been explored to the point of exhaustion. If the interview happens it will be a last minute thing--sorry Macdreams, I won't know until the a couple of hours before hand if I can make it so there won't be any 24 hour notice of cancellation. It does not look like it will sooooooo.....not much more to say except $%(*@#$. I gotta get my head de-mac'd and just let the med school thing go. I am getting too down about the whole thing and this is my absolute crunch time. C'est la vie.

Guest grandmellon

I feel very bad for you Dannyboy, that would be a huge disappointment. Hopefully you can still make it out last minute last week. Like Vw said.. hang in there!!! you have come so far.

To Lylloyd and VwDubber... CONGRATS on finishing!! woohooo a load of stress off your back now. I'm glad that you both made it there safely and back again.

Thank-you everyone for your help during our sessions, I now know where I need to prepare... hopefully we will all be at Mac next year and show them what great candidates we were!

talk to you all soon

:)

Guest MacLady

I too heard the staff talking today. They are definitely coming in at 8:30 this morning. Why not just show up. Heard them saying at one point that more applicants came yesterday than had originally been anticipated and didn't hear of anyone being turned away. Worth the trip if you are scheduled in today!

Guest Lynlloyd

Hey Dannyboy,

So sorry to hear of your predicament. You can't give up now!!!! If this what you REALLY want, make it work. I guess I was just one of the lucky ones who called at the right time. I think plans were changing minute by minute as the organizing crew were scrambling to make arrangements. My impression was that they really were trying their level best to be as helpful as possible.

There MUST be some kind soul at work who will cover for you!!

Best of luck, I hope it works out for you!

Lynlloyd

Guest macdreams

Hey Dannyboy,

So sorry to hear about about your scheduling worries... but you GOTTA make the interview next week!! You're such an AmAzInG candidate, it would be such a shame if you missed this chance. (Notice I say this even though I have a vested interest in people cancelling, lol! I just KNOW you gotta go and win them over!!)

Good Luck!!

macdreams

Guest macdreams

Huge congrats to VW and Lynlloyd (and everyone else who went in this weekend) for finishing the interview process!!

I'm sure you both did wonderfully :D (and will see large envelopes under your doors in May :b )

md

Guest Dannyboy

Please do not write things such as "if you really want it you will find a way". NO malintent is assumed (and in your case, Karen, I have NO doubt you meant no harm) but...the effect is that I feel like I've essentially been slapped in the face. There is a clear line between being idealistic and realistic--no matter how well I prepared for this weekend, no matter how good a candidate I might be, no matter how much I wanted to go to med school.....no matter, reality ruled the day.

I have responsibilites that can not be disgarded for the sake of hitting a Mac interview---respecting obligations comes first; that is the mature, responsible thing to do. Even if someone could cover for me at work, I can not afford to take another weekend off. There is just no money in the can; such is the life of a student single parent. I accept my situation and in no way feel bad about it; what I would like is for others to respect it.

Fairness requires all are treated the same; unfortunately, that did not happen this weekend. Once again, I know no one meant any harm but that does not change the outcome. I phoned numerous times on Friday; I did what I could. Such is life.

Guest Blackbird15

Hey guys,

I swore to myself that as soon as my interviews were done, I would stop caring about this stuff. But here I am... caring... about this stuff...

Anyway, congratulations to VD (hee!) and Lynlloyd on being done! VwDubber, if you feel like you didn't do as well as you'd hoped, you're not alone. From what i've heard, many people feel that way. Some of them get in anyway, and some of them don't. Just because your interviewers have their poker face on does not mean that they are not going to evaluate you fairly. .

Personally, out of my five interviews, I don't feel like I had one that was stellar. Either I didn't get to tell them everything I wanted them to know about me, or I got a really bizarre question that stumped me. The moral of the story is that you just won't know until May 31st.

Dannyboy, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope that it works out for you and you'll be able to go somehow.

Blackbird

Guest VwDubber

Hiya Blackbird,

Now I know what it feels like to be interview stress-free. Mind you I still have to write the MCAT so that is going to be another bump bump bump ....

As for my interview, I really don't know what to think. I did not have mean cold faced interviewers, nor could I read their minds. They just seemed nice. Greeted me when I came in, shook my hand when we were done and said "Good Luck" which I thought was a nice gesture. I'm not kicking myself or crying or taking anti-depression pills :rollin :rollin :rollin , because this was the first time I've applied for meds (and only school) ... hence I don't have another personal interview experience to compare it to.

At this stage, I think LUCK is definately an important factor, (this is my opinion so for you flamers out there don't post a reply saying luck is not blah blah blah b/c I won't RESPOND) because given the candidates I met yesterday, I KNOW choosing the class will be like pulling the hair out of my head (Hard).

I'm thinking positive thoughts and hoping for the best. I've made my interview bed .. and now I'm going to lay in it.

Whats new with you? Thanks again for coming out last Thursday. :hat :P

VDub-

gti.jpg

Guest Mdfunn

I am amazed that people are cancelling their interviews because of the change in weekends. If you can't handle a last minute change in plans then it is pretty clear that you can't handle medical school. The "reality" is that you can't be serious about medical school and should not have been given an interview in the first place. I feel sorry for the pre-med applicant that would have pretty much given their right hand for an interview but didn't because you got it instead. Unfortunately Mac has alot of applicants and inteviewees that really have no idea what it it takes to get into most medical schools in Canada and wouldn't have a shot anywhere else. I find it incredible. I just wanted to write what every other undergrad and non "mature applicant" is thinking. :smokin

Guest macdreams

I, for one, am NOT thinking the same way as Mdfunn. Frankly, I don't think Dannyboy could have been any more sincere; and I think I understand :) .

In the future, please speak for yourself.

Guest macdreams

On a lighter note... VW, you're a RIOT!!

(and thanks again for meeting with us last week, Blackbird! It's been really great getting to know you :) )

Guest VwDubber

Mdfunn:

Sorry, just wanted to write what everyone is wanting to say.

I don't share your thoughts on this.

As for the rest of your post .... :rolleyes :rolleyes

VDub-

Guest macdreams

:b -back at you, "Dubber".

And, though I hate to respond to this NONSENSE again, for the record I am what you would call an "non-mature/undergrad" and I couldn't have a more opposite opinion. So once again, please just speek for your (negative) self. Thanks!

Guest dogpaddler

I was lucky enough to get to Hamilton on Thursday night (6 1/2 hr drive); my wife had two job interviews on Friday (both cancelled).

Because I could be flexible, I was able to interview on Saturday on fairly short notice. I want to thank anyone involved in the planning for making the experience quite positive under very trying circumstances. I feel I did as well as I could at the time. I can't say I'll be surprised one way or the other come June. If need be, I'll do that much better next year. One hint for those who haven't interviewed yet: self evaluation will count for much in my opinion.

MDfunn:

Please don't speak for "everyone". I find your comments insensitive and small hearted. Some of us are lucky enough to have the resources and/or support to be flexible and some have lives that include too many responsibilities to be able to do what seems straightforward to you. Your lack of empathy and insight makes me question your suitability for your chosen profession.

Dannyboy:

I sincerely hope that your situation has been or will be resolved. From your posts on this forum you are, IMHO, the ideal candidate for McMaster. It will be the loss of the profession, Mac's class of 2006 and the institution if they don't get the opportunity to interview you.

I wanted to agree with what has already been said. I don't agree with your comment.

I am also a "non-mature" "undergrad" student. I did not receive an interview. I would have done my best to be at the interview had I been offered a position. However, Mac has covered the issue of people being unable to attend interviews... that is why there is a waiting list. Although I am a non-mature undergraduate student (as you put it) I also have many job, social, and personal commitments which would possibly impede me also from attending the interview when the change is such short notice.

I think the comment you made is very negative and personally directed at a poster who is obviously experiencing a big disappointment at the moment. Do you think that your comments improved the situation, contributed to this posters well-being?? Because obviously those comments didn't. It is rather presumptive of you to say you speak for me. Please make assumptions like that in the future.

Dannyboy,

When I read your post, I felt no bitterness, nore did I feel you were taking advantage or disrespecting the fact that you did receive an interview. I feel very disappointed about the whole situation, and I wish you the very best in your future endeavors-- and like others, hope that some how Mac will be able to make things work for you, so that you can get the interview you earned and deserve.

bug

Guest Dannyboy

You tell me MDfun what makes a good doctor:

1. someone who may not be able to make next weekend because of obligations which include:

*being in an expediated graduate program with two more weeks to go and 3 major papers to write

*being a sole parent to a great kid who needs his mom around cuz they are currently going through a very rough time dealing with a medical condition and significant problems at school

*having work obligations that---get this--are crucial because he/she IS INDEPENDENT and RESPONSIBLE. In this case, this involves not having a partner nor PARENTS (can you imagine that?) to help with their bills AND get this---is relied upon at work because of what he/she contributes. Yeah, weird but people NEED me; they RELY on me. So wierd.

*they have volunteer obligations which involve a troubled but quite exceptional youth who just got busted for a dumb crime which unless attended to quickly and effectively, will be looking at doing time. Should I just think of myself and forget about the kid who has yet been given a break in life, who is relying on me to help him work through this conflict? Is that the type of person YOU think Mac is looking for?

*have research obligations which involved finishing up a research proposal which involves a meeting of a dozen people--if I can't show up then it gets rescheduled and too many people with equally busy lives get inconvenienced and the project (which is about creating more culturally-sensitive domestic violence screening tools for emergency departments) is compromised.

*obligations to a friend who is having a hard time working through a conflict situation with her husband. The whole newborn-too-many-changes-to-fast situation that I've been through so I can share my experiences and hopefully help them remind themselves that they do love one another.

*someone who wrote the post to REMIND people that the weekend had its victims. This was NOT for any sympathy for me--don't need it; don't want it. It wasn't a bitter rant. I clearly articulated that I had come to terms with the situation. I was fine with it and had moved on.

Would this person who respects the fact that the world does NOT revolve around them and that it is important to honour your respsonsibilites and to be *realistic* and move on when life does not work out your way and THAT IT IS NOT THE END OF THEIR WORLD IF THEY DON'T GO TO MED SCHOOL not be a good phsycian?

No one who can handle the above stated obligations over the course of one weekend should ever be accused of not being flexible. Such a joke. What I am is not self-indulgent and not irresponsible. Two very different things.

Why don't you tell us all about the "sacrifices" that you've had to go through as this apparent premed student who would do anything to get an interview---the trick is, you see, is to work hard, be responsible, fulfill your obligations, do very well in school, respect others and--this is the hard one--just be a kind, decent, good person. At this point you will be a well-rounded person who can see past their med-school dreams to realise that hey, there is a whole world out there and a life to live.......and at that point, I would say that you are ready for a med school interview. I agree with the previous posters--you are not at all like the average premed student I've met. Perhaps you are not the ideal person to speak on their behave; perhaps you should take credit for your own opinions.

Why don't you enlighted us all, MDfun, on what exactly makes a doctor good. I am quite curious what you think the criterion is. There is always a chance that I am wrong....

Oh yeah, that whole "mature" thing---all the young premed students I've met have been very mature. By "non-mature" did you mean "immature"?

Guest Blackbird15

Hi there,

VwDubber, Macdreams, and lynlloyd, I was happy to come and share my experiences, since the last session I had with you guys (before my interview) was so helpful. I would have been a disaster at the interview without it!

VwDubber, I'm kind of full of it, aren't I (about the whole not-worrying-about-the-interview thing)? I'll be worrying and stressing and overanalyzing right along with all of you until May 31st!

Mdfunn...whatever... why is it that some people treat getting into med school like it's a competitive sport? I'm sorry, but if you get in, it WILL be on your own merit. No amount of competing and backstabbing will get you those good recommendation letters or those life experiences that make up a well-rounded applicant. Competition will also not get you good grades or good MCAT scores; those will be the outcome of your own hard work.

Blackbird flying...

Archived