Premed 101 Forums

Chances?

Hey everyone, 

I am in my second year of engineering in Ontario and I am curious about what my chances are for dental school. I finished 2nd years' 1st semester, and I am waiting for grades to come out. My first year was a shitstorm. I finished it with an average of 82.6%, and I totally understand that this average is nothing compared to other applicants. I took few summer courses to cover the prereqs and structured my academic schedule such that I satisfy the dent prereqs if I were to be serious about it, and also to complete my degree on time. I am thinking of doing the DAT in the summer of this academic year. I also have quite strong of EC's and work experience relevant to both dent and engineering, and have performed very well in my science and pre req courses.

I totally understand that I haven't given you guys enough info about my gpa, but if I were to anticipate a low 80's average for my top 2 or 3 years, what are my chances in Canada and out of Canada.

Cheers.

So are you asking about when you finish all four years or when you finish your 3rd year? Also whatever might be said isn't really relevant with your DAT scores as well. Keep in mind that you won't have a year dropped if you do apply in your 3rd year. If you're saying your best 2 years will have a low 80's average, meaning your other year is lower than that, chances for Canadian schools might be pretty low but you should be alright for american schools though keep in mind they're gonna break your bank

I'm in a similar situation too where my GPA isnt the best but i have other qualities that can be shown in my extra cirriculars. From what i've done research on, the states are much easier to get into and depending on how well you do on your DAT, your GPA should be more than enough to land you an acceptance there. However, you have to consider that it could be considerably more expensive in the states if you are an international/out of state student

2 hours ago, WE WUZ KANGZ said:

So are you asking about when you finish all four years or when you finish your 3rd year? Also whatever might be said isn't really relevant with your DAT scores as well. Keep in mind that you won't have a year dropped if you do apply in your 3rd year. If you're saying your best 2 years will have a low 80's average, meaning your other year is lower than that, chances for Canadian schools might be pretty low but you should be alright for american schools though keep in mind they're gonna break your bank

I should've stated that when I said top 2 or 3 years, I was meaning hypothetically speaking when I finish my degree. I do know that the states are crazy with their fees. Curious to know if high 70's are heard of over there. Also, how about Australia and Ireland? And lastly, how influencing are DAT scores to Canadian schools (given that the gpa is on the very low end)?

1 hour ago, rickardo and mortimer said:

I'm in a similar situation too where my GPA isnt the best but i have other qualities that can be shown in my extra cirriculars. From what i've done research on, the states are much easier to get into and depending on how well you do on your DAT, your GPA should be more than enough to land you an acceptance there. However, you have to consider that it could be considerably more expensive in the states if you are an international/out of state student

Cheers man. Do you have any ideas about Ireland or Australia?

Ps. Great bio, but the more I read through it, the more brain cells I lose.

13 minutes ago, 3booodi said:

I should've stated that when I said top 2 or 3 years, I was meaning hypothetically speaking when I finish my degree. I do know that the states are crazy with their fees. Curious to know if high 70's are heard of over there. Also, how about Australia and Ireland? And lastly, how influencing are DAT scores to Canadian schools (given that the gpa is on the very low end)?

High 70's are pretty common at american dental schools depending on location. Some schools like New York or NSU where living expenses and tuition are higher will have more opportunities for people in the 70s. As for Australia and Ireland I don't know much about those so I can't really comment on them. DAT scores to Canadian schools are imo a way to get your foot into the door for an interview, and the interview is where the acceptance really comes from. With a GPA on the low end, your DAT scores would have to be pretty high to balance it out but its doable!

12 hours ago, WE WUZ KANGZ said:

High 70's are pretty common at american dental schools depending on location. Some schools like New York or NSU where living expenses and tuition are higher will have more opportunities for people in the 70s. As for Australia and Ireland I don't know much about those so I can't really comment on them. DAT scores to Canadian schools are imo a way to get your foot into the door for an interview, and the interview is where the acceptance really comes from. With a GPA on the low end, your DAT scores would have to be pretty high to balance it out but its doable!

Got it. Thank a ton.

14 hours ago, 3booodi said:

Cheers man. Do you have any ideas about Ireland or Australia?

Ps. Great bio, but the more I read through it, the more brain cells I lose.

I've done a bit of reserach on Australia but i wasnt convince based on the fact that they have a shit ton of random ass poisonous creatures there. I actually got accepted to a school there right after first year without doing my DAT so based on that alone, it seems pretty easy. 

8 hours ago, rickardo and mortimer said:

I've done a bit of reserach on Australia but i wasnt convince based on the fact that they have a shit ton of random ass poisonous creatures there. I actually got accepted to a school there right after first year without doing my DAT so based on that alone, it seems pretty easy. 

May I ask what school was it? and what was the fee for application? Got me curious, might give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived