Premed 101 Forums

to dannyboy

Guest bug

Hi Dannyboy,

I was just wondering, as I am sure others are as well, if mac made the interviews work for you, and you were able to attend. You seem like a most worthy candidate.

I hope that things worked out and you made it.

Please let us know.

Thanks,

bug

Guest Dannyboy

Thanks for asking bug. Yeah I was able to make the interview. The whole weekend ended up being a bit tooo surreal for me. I ended up having 10 mins to get ready for the interview (i.e. dress). This was after being up most of the night working and that was after spending the entire day Saturday working through *four* conflict negotiations (two were domestic = no problem; the other two were legal and involved kids = painful). Oh yeah, I was NOT at my prime for the wonderful Mac community on Sunday. Soooooo funny.

So here was the day:

We rushed to Hamilton but before heading to the interview we, of course, grabbed a coffee at Tim Horton's to pay homage to Mr. Hamilton; it's a respect their culture thing. I managed not to spill coffee on my shirt---wooooooohoooooooooo!!!!!! There's a 1st for everything.

Upon our arrival we were *rushed* into the video tutorial. It was a 'sit and do' type of thing. I didn't even have time to read the instructions. My friends thought this would be the exercise I rocked at but....nope. Bomb. Next....

The group tutorial...EXCELLENT group. This is so typical of me: didn't even notice the three people assessing us who were literally four feet away. DUH. This exercise did *not* seem at all "fake" or "artificial". It was good. My evaluations could have been better but I had definitely started to feel my exhaustion kicking in. The flower was wilting....

The interview...oh the crucial-in-every-way-interview. Yeah, remember why I initially wrote I could make the interivew was that I was assured that I would be in and out in about 1 1/2 hours.....fate decided a different course. My 10:30 interivew got bumpbed to 11 then 1 then 2...then I was called in at 1:30--oops, left the room to use the washroom and in that 3 minute interval was called and of course was not there to answer. Soooo, got bumped to 3pm. Yeah, my rescheduled, rescheduled interview got rescheduled. If I had known that was even a possibility I would have declined the interview so it was best things worked out the way they did. Being clueless always seems to work out for me.

I was TOAST by 10----by 3 I was a bit far gone. No, the interivew did not go well---interviewers were fine: I WAS NOT. I was literally slurring my words by that time. Minimal coherent thought. I struggled with the easist question: why medicine. I kid you not. The one interviewer actually had to ask me the question TWICE...soooooooo pathetically funny. Once again: c'est la vie. Gotta just go with za flow...

My friend was kind enough to drive my to Hamilton (I have GREAT friends) and she had to wait the entire day in the car (sympathy all around for her).

At the end of the day the lovely food that was prepared for us was packed up and because I live downtown, it was decided that I should hand it out to the street people. That went really, really well. Many people benefited from that generous offering of the Mac students---everyone from a guy at Tim Hortons (yeah, re-visited it on our way out; so sad) who was very broke and hungry to my neighbour who just became a single parent and was feeling very overwhelmed with life yesterday and was thrilled because she didn't have to make dinner. Who would have thought that nanaimo bars could make such a difference---oh, the power of sugar. After the food was handed out I headed to work....once again, not my finest hour.......

From all those who were assisted with the offering of food: a huge thanks to the Mac students and thanks to the interviewees who very graciously declined the offers to take the free food home with them in favour of giving it to those who were deemed to need it more. Very kind of you.

FOR THE RECORD: not one person declined the food. ALL were extremely appreciative. About two dozen people partook in the offering.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: I won at roll-up-and-win on Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES. I AM A WINNER. I knew once I did the suburban thing I would win. It only took about 2000 cups of coffee but I did it.

No matter what happens come June, I know at least one of my dreams has been fulfilled. It's all good folks.......

Guest grandmellon

Congratulations Dannyboy, I am so very pleased that you were able to make it out the interview. What a strong character you have to be able to deal with all those stressors and still time find to help others :) As for the slurring of the words... you don't have to worry about that either because I think we all did little things like that, whether it be slurring, stuttering or not answering questions in a coherent manner... they are good at deciphering things! hehehe anyways... just a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go! :D

Dannyboy,

Thanks for sharing your interview experience. And let me say that my faith in Mac is renewed... since they were able to make the interview work for you!!

Your story was inspiring....;)

I want so much more to be where you were next year, and to get that interview....

Congratulations and hopefully May brings with it some good news.

bug

Guest monksters

Hi Dannyboy,

Thank you so much for your inspiring story. I was feeling a bit down today.. and its so nice to see someone with so much optimism for life and strength to take things with stride through the hurdles of the day. It really lightened things up for me. I wish the best for you !!!

Guest Dannyboy

Thanks to all for your kinds words. A big thank you to monksters and bug. Monsters: you made my morning!

It has been quite an experience navigating the whole med school appl road. Overall, it has been worth it. I have memories that I know I will cherish and I've learned much more than I thought I would. A friend of mine has even suggested I write an article on it *not* because of the roadblocks that were put in my way but because it was such a neat (and very funny) adventure. A lot of what happened hasn't made this forum and some of the stuff is just priceless. Silly life that we live.

I too am planning my course for next year--prepare for the worst but always hope for the best, that's my motto in life. I hope we can help each other out over the next year so we can ensure that we all eventually get to study medicine at Mac.

We have tentatively made plans to get together after this semester to strategize for next year so if you (or anyone else) are in Toronto and want to hook up, keep posted and I am sure we can work something out. If you aren't from the GTA then no worries, that's what we have email for. I am sure we can work something out.

The most important 'lesson' I learned from the appl process is WOW I have great friends. So supportive, they are great in every way. So, yeah, regardless of the outcome of my interview, applying to med school was worth the trip.

As for the strategizing for next years admission process, I'm in!! I will be in TO next year so I would love to meet some of you posters and try to help in any way I can.

It's a great idea, thanks for making it available to all who are interested.

bug

Guest macdreams

"We have tentatively made plans to get together after this semester to strategize for next year so if you (or anyone else) are in Toronto and want to hook up, keep posted and I am sure we can work something out."

Just letting you know that I'll be there (with bells on :lol )

md

Archived