Premed 101 Forums

Final collation process question

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

I know that a number of applicants have wondered about how the final process works and I have heard that the essays are reread in this final process. Does anyone know if this is true? Do they really take the overall picture in the final decision or does one have to be stellar in each of the three interview dimensions etc?

Guest jmh2005

Only those involved in collation know the real answer...I highly doubt they re-read the sketches, but I'm sure the percentile ranking you achieved is looked at as is your interview score(s), gpa percentile ranking, etc...but the interview is the most important tool they use from what I have heard. Good luck!

Guest macMDstudent

It's true that nobody knows for sure what the final formula is BUT this is what I found out from some past grads when I was applying.

As you know, getting an interview is 50% autobiographical submission and 50% grades. The top ranked 400 or so applicants are invited for the interview process.

After the interview process everyone is ranked on personal interview and simulated tutorial (including video analysis). What I have heard is only the top 50% from interview day get to the final collating stage. If you bomb the interview day but were #1 on both GPA and autosub, you could not be accepted.

Of those top 50% from interview day, a final score is collated based on the autosub, GPA, personal interview and simulated tutorial (including video) with each weighted 25%. The top 138 are offered acceptance and a rank order waiting list is created (nobody will ever tell how many are on the waiting list, what your rank is or how many got in off the waiting list in past years). When there is a tie, apparently the whole admissions committee will discuss each of the applicants in question and a decision will be made who will be ranked higher.

This is all "Mac Legend" and is not official in any way. So don't expect anyone to confirm any of this.

The first round acceptances are sent out timed to arrive in your mailbox the last working day of May. Acceptances off the waiting list can go on right into orientation week.

Guest gucio93

Actually, the team that collates the final data for each applicant is given a number of files to peruse (including comments made by reviewers, sometimes re-reading the sketches) and it is that person's responsibility to present that applicant's overall "application history" (i.e. a summary of all the application stages, including comments of various evaluation teams) to the final collation committee, who then votes on whether that applicant's file goes into the "accepted" pile, the "rejected" pile, or the "maybe" pile. It is also at this point that the reference letters are finally considered.

Guest MACFORME

Hey guys

I heard that Mac tells you where you are on the waitlist if you get waitlisted.. Is this just a rumour? I didn't beleive it when I heard it but the source was a guy I know who interviewed at Mac last year and got waitlisted, so I kind of did beleive him.

Can anyone offer any insight?!?

I have a big exam tomorrow :) Gotta get back to the books. Dont worry, even though I dont post as much, I am reading all the messages.. and yah I agree with Dannyboy, we are all ideal candidates ;)

Take care guys

MFM

Guest jmh2005

They changed this policy last admissions cycle...you no longer know where you are on the waitlist (I don't think this is going to change...). The class of 2004 had a waitlist of around only 50 people and they ended up going through the whole list and having to call people who intially received rejections (what a shock that one would be...)...so they decided to expand the number on the list and not give out your position (which I think really sucks...but what do I know....??)

Last year, those who were on the waitlist were given the exact same package as those who received offers, other than the letter, which said you were waitlisted.

They assure you that they will CALL you, and they will, if your number comes up, so don't worry....MANY people in my class got off the waitlist...and just think... there may be people on Mac's waitlist who have gotten in to other schools, so their names (as of some early date in July, I believe) are taken off every waitlist in the province if they accept another Ontario offer.

I know of one person in my class who got an offer in O-week...plus I had heard a rumor that there may be 146 offers (just rumor...no fact here...)...please don't quote me...

Hope that has been helpful! Take care!

Guest VwDubber

Hi Jess,

If your rumor is true, does this mean that this year's class has increased in size to 146 from 138? I'm asking because I was told that in the first round, only equal # of offers are sent out as there are spots (in the first year class). Am I making any sense? :o:o:o:o:o

Thanks,

VDub-

Guest WesternGirl

Hi VwDubber,

I think Jess meant that the rumors are that the Class of 2006 (you guys!) might go up to 146 students...if that happens, then at least 146 offers will be sent out in June.

Guest jmh2005

WesternGirl's got it...that's what I meant...I had heard it MAY be 146 (please don't quote me...)...vs. the 138 we have now in the Class of 2005...they won't give out more acceptances than offers...Mac doesn't do that...

P.S...we just got an email from the admin regarding tuition...it's going up 7% from $13,500 (plus fees) to 14,445 (plus fees...usually about $500-600.00 extra for fees)...not impressed...

Take care guys!

Guest shelleyrn

You guys! Damn it! I was trying not to get sucked into the posting board, but...heeeere I am again!! Sheesh!

That would be quite wonderful if Mac decided to let a few more of us in! BUT, the @#%$ part is the tuition!! Holy smokes! That is a large-chunk-o-change!! (All money well spent though!)

Okay...I am crawling outta here....sweet dreams everyone! (visions of Mac acceptance letters dancing through our heads.....|I zzzzzzzzzz)

Guest shelleyrn

wow...i totally got edited....like..blam....all i wanted to use was a great little adjective ker-ap-ee....there...see if that get's in....

Guest VwDubber

Thanks for clarifying that up WesternGirl and Jmh.

Soz to hear about the tuition hike though ... but what can you do? :evil :evil :evil

Take it easy ;)

VDub-

Archived