Premed 101 Forums

Med Students

Guest Ibraheem

Guest DrSahsi

A-yup. I just got a call a week or two ago that they're going into production of a second season.

- Rupinder

Guest jmh2005

As if it is coming back...hopefully it's on a volunteer basis only...I hate cameras!!

Rupinder...hope the CCFP went well, definately not looking forward to those SOOs...

Life Network...used to be on Sundays...

Take care!

Guest DrSahsi

Yeah. They'll be filming at Mac again, or so the producers have lead me to believe. They wanted to get together to talk about my experience, and get feedback on what did and did not go so well with the whole process. If board lurkers have specific opinions about the series, now would be a good time to pipe up. :^)

CCFP exam sucked hindquarters. The SOOs ("simulated office oral" exams) are a joke, and we kinda accept them as such. Some of us nickname them "saving the world in 15 minutes or less." We were too busy being stressed out about the written portion of the exam.

As for when the show is on, check the schedule online at www.lifenetwork.ca ... I'm convinced it'll be in reruns until I'm old and grey.

- Rupinder

Guest aneliz

My biggest beef with the show is that the general public have NO idea what actually goes into becoming a doctor (timeline, work, stress, cost, etc)...and this show really doesn't do much to change that...I think that about the only purpose it served is for the general public to realise that "students don't know much" and "I didn't trust them before and I really don't trust them now after I saw that show..." (Reaction of my parents and grandmother to having seen it.)

I also was a little distressed that the show is called 'med students' yet spends a lot of time tracking the residents...fine, cool, whatever, but they should make it clear that these people HAVE their MD....

I also thought that they went out of their way to make some of the students look stupid....(show them when they are most uncertain, take comments they make out of context so that they don't look very 'patient centred'). They really don't spend much time showing 'successes' in these students lives, or things that they are confident at doing. This is especially annoying when they flip between a senior surgery resident and 2nd year student and make no explanation of the different level of training or ability that you see...makes the 2nd year student look pretty bad in comparison....and this is not exactly fair!

For those people that don't have a clue already about med training (med students vs residents, what exactly is CaRMS, etc) it really didn't tell them much (they are totally still confused and worse, now think that we are ALL totally incompetent!). I think it would have been better to do an episode or two with some of the first years, highlight some of the obstacles in their lives, then move on and do a couple of episodes with the second years, then the thirds, then some residents, etc....so people get the progression of med school and have a little bit more confidence in us!!

I like how they follow around a person through their day, or over time, and have some continuing personalities....but it does get a bit confusing trying to keep straight what level of training they are all at!

My 2 cents. :D

Guest Ibraheem

It comes on at 5:30PM on sat on ch 18(life network)

this shows the medstudents in action in the hospital....

Guest j282

Aneliz:

I respectfully disagree. I think that as a med student/resident you truly are lost at times and when you hit the wards during clerkship you will see how inept a lot of residents and clerks are in terms of generalized knowlege and more importantly in terms of patient empathy and emotion control.

I think that as med students we have gone through challenging stages where at some level we have been put on a pedistal and received plenty of back patting, however I don't think this should go to our heads. Arrogance and the belief that we are excellent at all aspects including dealing with being thrown into the wards is a typical egocentric med student attitude of a Type A personality that has experienced alot of success in previous endevours. Through the tone of many of your posts, I feel that to some extent you fall into this category.

We are not perfect, we are not the ultimate humans who can know and do all. Sometimes it hurts to accept this. Especially when it's glaring back at us on the television.

On a side note, yes our training is hard, yes it's expensive but I'm glad that people who watch the show aren't subjected to med students whining about all these issues, because quite frankly, many go through hell to get into their careers and we aren't that special, even if some med students think of themselves as marters. Phd's have years of training, MBA's pay the same 100K at UWO with no job in site this year. Engineers endure the toughest university courses only to face uncertainty in the job market. Law tuitions have hit 22K per year with again no jobs in site. In my opinion we have it great. I'm so happy, 100K for a sure thing, great salary )% unemployment, I like those odds, sign me up :)

Guest UWOMED2005

I think Aneliz's point was not that med students aren't incompetent nincampoops at times on the wards (I would agree with that for sure!) but rather that the show went out of its way to pick reinforce that fact in the pubic's eyes.

Personally, when I whine about my $125k (projected debt) I'm not whining for med students alone - your points are so true about MBAs, law students, and engineers. My ex-girlfriend was a law student and I couldn't believe the competition they go through to land a summer job at a good firm with the hopes of articling there. There's lots of lawyers out there pulling in $40k and trying to pay back those insane debts. In case you don't remember, I was the one who pointed out MBAs aren't as rosy as some med students paint them. And my just graduated at or near the top of his class (we'll find out at graduation) in Aerospace engineering. . . but can't find a job anywhere. Thankfully he got out without debt, and he's decided to go back to school to do a master's and or engineering and he's scored a bunch of scholarships to do so.

But really, NONE of the aforementioned examples have anything to complain to compared to the largest group of post-secondary students. Undergrad students studying non-commerce or engineering degrees. Let's face it, bachelors degrees are pretty much only door openers. . . few jobs require only a bachelors, realistically you're looking at more school after the degree. I find it therefore absolutely disgusting that kids in their early twenties are saddled with $30,000 (average Canadian university debt, according to the CFMS when I was in undergrad.) I have one friend who now owes more than $50,000 after 4 years.

So, yeah med students in relative terms have it pretty good. But in terms of paying for our education, or generation is being royally screwed.

And the thing that boggles my mind is that for the last 7 or 8 years the number one and two issues for Canadians have been Health Care and Education. . . and yet as a medical student, I can attest to the fact these two institutions have been veritably butchered. Why and how?

I think it all goes back to those million dollar bonuses the CEOs get, and the fact they're the only ones left with money to contribute to political parties. . . how else can you explain years of increased personal income taxes, decreased social spending, and decresed corporate income taxes.

Guest UofCMeds2005

Aneliz, I personally have not seen the show. However, a number of my classmates who watch it religiously share your opinion. In fact I was involved in a discussion with them yesterday - the main consensus from their discussion was the fear that it would cause patients to not allow med students to do procedures etc. or be involved in their care. They share your view that the show paints med students in a bad and maybe unfair light - due to creative editing.

Med students are just that - students who are learning medicine. Part of learning is interacting with patients and for that patients have to trust us. Hearing students say - I know absolutely nothing (which apparently someone on the show said) can cause patients to generalize that to all med students. Yes we are human and yes we do make mistakes. But, I certainly don't want my pros on the cutting room floor and my bloopers considered good tv.

PS Just out of curiosity - what med school do you go to J282? It is always interesting to see how philosophies differ from one med school to the next etc.

Guest aneliz

My point was not that med students and residents are clinically brilliant, totally independent and competent in all things that they do...I don't have a problem with the program showing students/residents that are unsure of what they are doing and need help/guidance to get it done. My point, as has been supported by several others, was that the show goes out of its way to show ONLY the uncertain moments and to not show ANY times that the students or residents are confident with what they were doing...and that is just as unrealistic as believing that they are always competent!

I personally know one of the students that was featured on the show....I know that they followed her around for over a week and had HOURS of footage of her working in the hospital with patients. However, the 15 minutes of creatively edited footage they used of her were, in her opinion, the two patient encounters that went the least well in terms of her skill/confidence and/or the patient's reactions....

My major complaint is that the public do not know the difference between a 2nd year med student and a 4th year surgery resident (ie the 4th year resident has a LOT more time/experience than the 2nd year student!)....so when they suddenly flip between those two with no explanation, the 2nd year student looks like an absolute moron in comparison! I am not saying that the 2nd year student is brilliant and is perfectly competent....just that they don't deserve to be compared to a 4th year surgery resident in terms of ability....I think that the show does, in some ways, make the public less confident in having students involved in their care (from the results of my n=4, totally non-randomised, non-blinded, not controlled, anecdotal, cross-sectional study ;) )

Guest j282

Hello again:

To UofCmeds2005, my background is perhaps a bit different than your typical med student so here's a quick summary: Out of high school, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I went to college for a diploma in graphic art and graphic design. I worked as a commercial artist for 2 years at which point, I thought to myself, hmmm I would love to try University. I remember I enjoyed science classes in high school so I enrolled in the Honours Bsc program at Western. My initial purpose for taking the degree was really for the pure reason of learning about new things and challenging my mind, I had no intention applying to anything beyond the degree, this changed however (obviously ;) ). I noticed that I was getting the highest mark in most of my classes and I thought to myself, wow I wonder what I can do with these great marks? I looked into lots of careers and finally settled on medicine and medical research. Alot of students in my program (who were med school crazy from day one........Of birth!!!!) told me to forget about it, they wouldn't accept me, etc. etc. Funny enough I was accepted to all of the schools I applied to. I ended up accepting an offer at UofT into the MD/Phd program.

That's my story :) I hope that helps to explain where my thought process comes from.

It's funny because I was so different than the med school crazy brains that dominated my undergrad program and the many type A's "we're better than the world" folks who slipped into med school. Alot of these folks didn't even understand what the hell they were getting into, but really enjoyed the challenge of hunting the med school beast and mutilating it with their dull knives made with views of money, power and the pure joy derived from one day being on the inside lauging at the non-med school mortals while basking in their own glorious reflection.:evil (sorry about the drama, I just wanted something to justify using the "evil" emoticon.

Anyways take care, is it hot yet in Calgary?

Guest aneliz

So, not to get into a spitting match with anyone, but I thought that I would defend the suggestion that my life has been easy and that I am a 'stereotypic med student, type A personality, that needs to be patted on the back...'

First, I will freely admit to being a type A personality....no denying that....I like getting things done and getting them done well and on time...I have a strong work ethic, I care about results and I work hard to meet the standards that I set for myself....

Second, I am not a person that has been set on medicine since birth....in fact science was the only course that I have failed.....yup.....it was the subject that I hated most of all in grade 9.....

Fortunately for me, a high school teacher got through to me and encouraged me to care about the sciences and a co-op job with a small animal hospital showed me that science can be fun....and by high school graduation, I had decided I wanted to be a vet....and started at the University of Guelph with the intention of entering the vet med program after my second year of science.

Now, I am the first person in my family to go to university....so there wasn't a whole lot of support from my parents...we are a single income family and money is not plentiful....hence I had to work damn hard to scrape up enough cash to pay tuition....

And once I started seeing the rest of vet med (ie large animal, food production, herd health, etc) I decided that it was NOT what I wanted to do.... So I spent two years wondering what in the heck I was going to do with my life...with constant nagging from my family about 'getting out and getting a job'.

After considering lots of possible options (from research to nuclear med technology) I decided I would apply to med school....my GPA was good...but I thought that there was no way that I could compete with 'premed keeners' that had been grooming their autobiographical sketch since birth....

I had to write the MCAT...I couldn't afford a prep course, nor did I have the time to take it. I was working 60+ hours a week to make money for 4th year tuition....I worked for an arrogant, self-serving and abusive small business owner, who didn't care about his staff and exploited them, bribed them and cheated them out of pay, on a regular basis. That summer he decided to take off and go to Alaska for 8 weeks....the manager quit, and he left me (the summer student) in charge of the business, its $$$ and his staff....I had two days off in an entire month...I was left to fend for myself, deal with problems (like $40 000 of frozen food in a freezer and no power on a 33 degree day, missing money, inept staff, @#%$ scheduling, etc) At the same time, my family was falling apart. At the end of that summer, I wrote the MCAT...and felt more incompetent than ever.

So, due to a lack of time (7 courses in one semester), lack of funds and lack of confidence that I had any kind of chance, I only applied to two schools (UWO and UofT)....and I got into both of them...first round....so, here I am.

I am not saying that I am any better than anybody else...we all have had our own unique path to get where we are and we have all worked damn hard to do it. In future, please don't make sweeping accusations about people that you can't possibly support.

Peace. :)

Guest Dannyboy

Thanks for finally responding to what I thought was a completely "below the belt" and incorrect post by J282. *Just my opinion* J282, but at no point have I ever found ANY of aneliz's posts anything other than interesting, inspiring, honest, humble, and informative.

J282: Your take on the posts, quite frankly, confused me. Obviously, you are more than entitled to your opinion. What I found most surprising was your story--to me, at least, you sounded like the type of person that you were describing aneliz to be. JUST MY TAKE. Either way, I found it amuzing and interesting.

Continue the good work Aneliz and if I misinterpreted you J282 (and I think I might have), apologizes in advance. You both should be proud of your achievements. BTW: although I am most definitely not in the "wanted to be a dr from birth" category I don't think that is a bad thing either. Good people are good people--even if Aneliz was a "type A" personality and she was from a very wealthy family, who cares? That wouldn't make her a bad person; that doesn't belittle any of her accomplishments.

We are each on our own particular, unique journey, don't you think?

Guest UWOMED2005

Beautiful response, Aneliz. Interesting - I thought I was the only med student who ever failed grade 9 science! Just shows how things change througout life.

You know j282, I think have somewhat of a point about SOME medical students. But making insinuations about people who you have never met, don't know their life story, and only know through a faceless and nameless forum is problematic, to say the least.

Guest j282

Hi there:

My apologizes, I think I was misinterpreted :)

Aneliz, no generalization to you, I don't know you, your not in my class, I did read your posts again, and I misinterpreted what you had said, leading me to think that you were similar in view as some in my class. My apologies for that. My little rant also was supposed to be sacarasitic, like your post about Docs making the most $$$ especially surgeons (and totally not meant to be taken seriously), I just thought the devil symbol was cool :evil . I guess when void of linguistic cues (intonation etc.) messages can be misinterpreted. My bad on that one as well.

Anyways good luck to you. Friends? :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I didn't do so well in French either. Might have had something to do with sleeping every class through the first time round. And while I too took grade 9 math twice, I actually passed both times. . . it's a long story. I've changed quite a bit as a student since then. :)

This is the funniest med student bragging competition I have ever seen. So much more entertaining than "I got X MCAT" or "I got X gpa." ;)

Guest Dannyboy

I was classified/diagnosed as being mentally retarded until grade six....top that one.

I don't know where I would be without 'sympathy passes'.....oh yeah, I actually do know where I would be: perpetual grade three.

P.S. I forgot to mention: bravo to you J282 for your reply--you are showing an impressive character.

Whoa, I am just glad you and Aneliz "further elaborated and made up" in time--this is my last day of cable internet so I was waiting anxiously for you to resolve your issues before I am cut off!!!!!!!:D

Peace has once again been restored!!!!!!!

Guest aneliz

j282 - no worries. :) I appreciate that you were brave enough to remain involved in this discussion and clarify your position.

Hopefully we have all learned something about how sarcasm and humor can be misinterpreted when they are only typed words on a screen and there is no intonation or body language to go with it! So, lets all put this incident behind us and move on.

Dannyboy....glad that I found the time to respond....wouldn't want to leave you hanging! ;)

Guest UofCMeds2005

I wrote the first year OSCE today so I am a little late entering this. But, I failed shoe tying in Kindergarden :)

Anyways, I think all of your posts illustrated an important point - there is no one type of med student. That is why it is so diff to answer posts with - are my stats okay? B/C everyones stats are diff (ie. GPA/MCAT/Autobio).

Anyways, I shouldn't be typing right now - too tired |I

Guest UWOMED2005

nuts, I think I failed that too (shoe-tying that is). No surgery for me! Will someone please mention something I didn't fail? (like almost everything else) :)

Archived