Premed 101 Forums

Life as a Mac student...

Guest macdaddyeh

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi everyone. This thread is likely to start a lot of discussion, but I would like to know what a week in the life of a Mac student is like, particularly in first year. Lots of free time? Steep learning curve? (particularly for those with little science background) How many hours do you spend studying? researching for tutorials? This question is open to wide interpretation and discussion..... :)

EDIT: I decided to bring this thread back up for those who have been accepted and to help those folks who still have to make some tough decisions on where they want to attend in the fall...hope this helps in some way...J

Guest jmh2005

Well, that's a loaded question...what is life like??

As with most things in life there are the great aspects and the not so great aspects...but I won't get into that, I'll try to give you a typical week of a 1st year (which will be drastically different than my 2nd year colleagues who will be starting clerkship in January...)

Unit 1 (14 weeks) starts in very early in Sept after your week of orientation (which was really great for our class, lots of activities for all!) There are 3 subunits which you rotate through (as with all units 1-4) intro to behaviour (2 weeks), how we get here (4 weeks) and how we stay here (6 weeks). The titles aren't great (I think they need to work on those...) but basically, you get intros into psychiatry (brain and behaviour), genetics, development, pregnancy and finally the last unit is homeostasis (BP regulation, wound healing, etc...your basic homeostatic mechanisms are explored).

We have 2 Problem-based tutorials per week (3 hours each, usually Mondays and Thursdays, in units 1-4, 6 hours/week). We use the problems as a stimulus for learning (no, we DO NOT try to SOLVE the problem, per se)...too many people told me PBL was to 'learn all the answers'...yes, to come to some conclusions about the patients presenting problems, sure, but the overall purpose of PBL is to generate discussion and learn the basics through the presentation of a case or problem. OK...sorry about that, just some feedback from the autobios I just finished reading...oh, and don't forget to answer the question they ask of you, I can't stress that enough...answer the question!!!!!

We also have large group sessions for 2-3 hours per week on a variety of topics relevant to medicine and current clinical practice, unit 1 has a real variety of topics, but as you progress through the physiological based subunits, as you would expect, the topics are relevant to cardio/renal/resp in unit 2, GI, etc...in unit 3.

In unit 1 you also have communication skills (2-3 hours/week) where you will get to practice taking a basic history from a standardized patient. Different groups did different things, but the basic principles from this segment of the course involve general communication skills, learning how to interact with "real patients"...some people loved this part of the unit, others, not so much.

Pathology was also a facet of unit 1, between 1-3 hours/week, depending on your preceptor. This part was OK, the gross specimens were good, but too much histology in my opinion...interesting none the less!!

Then we had clinical skills as well, 2-3 hours/week. Here we learned the basics of history taking, all systems exams (cardio, resp, abdo, neuro, msk, etc...), a foundation to build on in the other units. Also we talked a bit about EBM priniciples (sorry, Evidence Based Medicine...know what that means if you will be applying in the future!).

Also, there was a great opportunity to do a Family Medicine Horizontal elective for either 6 or 12 weeks, I think most people in my class did this...a great opportunity! Different preceptors allow you different responsibilities, I was very fortunate, my doc lets me do just about everything!! In medicine the motto is SEE ONE, DO ONE, TEACH ONE!! I've done stitches, assisted in a several deliveries and had an opportunity to really practice what I've learned, you need to just jump in there!! I spent approx. 6 hours per week with my Doc (they suggest 1/2 day per week), I just chose her busiest afternoon. Most students spend about 3-4 hours per week.

I think that's about it for unit 1...you spend most of your time reading, preparing for tutorial and clinical skills and your elective(s), some people did more than just the FM elective, I myself also did and am continuing an ER elective (and FM too!).

Unit 1 is all over the place, I was constantly moving from site to site, McMaster med centre, The General, Henderson, etc...so having a car does help. It's not essential, but you will need to rely on friends for rides (which usually isn't a problem). I think a car would be must for clerkship, sometimes (as was my case in unit 1) you need to be at two different hospitals and sometimes 3 in the same day...parking can be a nightmare too!!

Unit 2 has been good thus far, same type of schedule as I outlined above (6 hrs PBTutorial, 3 hours clinical skills, 2 hours large group) a little less classroom time it seems (which I'm realizing needs to be used for reading, reading and more reading!) and a bit more flexibility. There are also subunit-specific small group sessions (they hate to call them lectures, but thats what they are!) which are 2 hours, 1-2x/week as well.

Communication skills are done after unit 1 and the pathology sessions are now termed clinical pathological conferences (students present to each other the different cases, which are again used as a stimulus for learning). You spend 5 weeks, 5 weeks and 4 weeks in the different subunits and rotate as a group, so the same 50 or so people will be studying the same things at the same time (less strain on library, reserve and clinical resourses, vs. having all 138 of us studying the exact same thing at the same time). Everyone by the end of the unit will have done all the same problems, etc... We still have clinical skills, now they are just more specific to the unit and we also will have the opportunity to see patients with different problems (i.e. heart murmurs, rales, various coughs, bruits, etc..).

Some days I go in for 8:30 and don't finish until 7:30, some days I don't start until 1 and I'm done at 5, and some days I have nothing (that's rare, but it does happen!), it really depends on when your preceptors and tutors are available, so you and your group really need to be flexible, because you really don't have a lot of choice at times regarding times and locations!

Well, I hope this little dissertation has been helpful, a bit of insight into what we have experienced thus far, which really has been great. You do need to really like working in groups and you must be self-directed, otherwise you may enjoy a more traditional school. At this point I think a lot of people just want to get into med school so they don't really care where they go, but make sure mac is what you want (if you do have the luxury of choice come May 31st...as several of my classmates did...) because it is different, but in my opinion, I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else, because it is really amazing, and it works!! Good luck and take care,

J

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hi jmh2005,

"I read the news today oh boy

About a lucky man[1] who made the grade..."

Wow, what an incredible write-up! This is the sort of thing that makes this board

such a great resource. Now I *really* want to get into Mac (me & 3800 other

people). Thanks for sharing all that. It sounds like students are really

encouraged to pursue anything medical that interests them right from the start of

year 1. That's so cool! I envy you - in a good way!

A tangent related to your tangent: Guilty as charged; I used the "s" word

("solve") in the PBL question. It wasn't the centre of my answer, but if I'd had

your post in front of me back then I might have tweaked the focus of my essay a

little further. Live and learn. I actually took my cue from Woods' book, though I

can't remember exactly why. By the way, I found that book to be an *excellent*

reference (note to anybody planning to apply in the next cycle, the ISBN is

0-9698725-0-X).

Speaking of Woods (or maybe it was somebody else writing about things that can

go horribly wrong with small-group learning), are your tutorial group rosters

static, or are new groups formed for each unit?

Thanks again,

pb

[1] apologies on behalf of John & Paul if you're not actually a man

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (OpenBSD)

Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE98mqC/HNgbK3bC2wRAtSTAJ9AjJoPN06XIIf3ylGZau8ddcRJ4ACeJOeW

TwHHpmBudW3ZPVMzxKllTKM=

=mTNL

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest wileycoyote

mmm....

I apparently missed the PBL question too then, since I usually consider learning a step before finding a solution of sorts, and stated as much in the answer :(

I am curious, is something like a flub on one answer like that usually a deal breaker? Can one be considered as one of the 'outstanding' apps, having done a poor job on one question? Or are the 1-2 marvelous essays per group usually comprised of 100% bang on answers?

thanks,

-Will

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey JMH...Thanks for the really great inside look at a "typical" (which is likely different for everybody) week in the life of McMaster Med. Incidentally, I answered the PBL question exactly the way you simply described..I said something along the lines of generating discussion and dividing duties for completing tasks. Nonetheless, thanks for your input; it was much appreciated. Take care

Guest jmh2005

Hey guys,

Glad to here that my time spent procrasting wasn't wasted, glad the info was helpful. I'm sorry to if I gave anyone the impression that you couldn't use the word 'solve' in the PBL question, and that that was wrong, because really nothing is 'wrong'. Yes at times we do 'solve' the problem. The key is that the reader understand that you know the whole process, what PBL is meant to do, really as long as you have the right framework and it is said well (articulately, clear, comprehensively), that's really all that should matter.

One question will not make you or break you, is the other thing to be said. I really spent time trying to get a 'snapshot' of the person behind the words, the depth of their experiences, their compassion, their drive, their desire, their knowledge of meds at mac, would I want to interview this person, would I want to study with this person? So, no worries! People express themselves in so many different ways, with different approaches, which is fine as well!

As for your question about groups...yes, we do have different groups for each unit, so it's always (every 14 weeks) new topics, new group, which in it self is a real learning experience. What worked for you in one group, may not work in your next group...which is why flexibililty is also key.

Well, should be going, have a few things to get done for tutorial tommorow!

P.S. I am female (as is 78%) of my class! I have a feeling that might be changing in the future because there has been much discussion on this very topic, so gentlemen, don't dispair...that's another thing...I didn't even look at whether the sketch I was reading was by a male or a female...it is simply the quality of the sketch (they don't just choose women on purpose...)...

Take care all,

J

jmh2005,

As everyone else has already said, thank you so much for your detailed posts. They were very informative and useful to me, especially since Mac is my school of choice for meds. Well, I guess I should stop my procrastinating as well and get back to good 'ole Receptor Pharmacology!!!

Ceds

Guest gucio93

The first time around the groups have been determined alphabetically; 6-7 people per group. Thereafter, the groups are determined by computer algorithm to prevent the same members from being in the same group more than once (although once in a blue moon that does happen). This is to enrich your group experience as much as possible, because as was already mentioned, what worked in one group may not necessarily work in another...

Guest wileycoyote

What time in the morning do students typically start getting together to do work? I once saw that a schedule was 9-5ish for most course work, but do most (many?) students start around 7am (or, ack, worse)

thanks in advance

-Will

Guest gucio93

There are no large group sessions starting earlier than 7:30 (and that was an exception for our class because they could not find a large enough room at any other time). These sessions are usually around 9:00 or in midafternoon. Typically, tutorials start around 9:00, but remember it all depends on your tutor and his/her hours (in my class, I have not heard of people starting earlier than 8:00). You are more likely to have tutorials that are in the evenings than to start at 7:00 am ;) .

Guest jmh2005

Thankfully things aren't too early! I was used to working full-time prior to coming back to mac, so the am things don't bother me too much!

Usually tutorials start at 8:30 or 9:00 or 1:00-4:00 typically. There is a group (1 out of 24) that actually starts at 7:30am but that's the earliest I've heard so far, and there's a group that starts at 7:00pm to 10:00pm...and don't forget things change every unit.

For example, I don't start until 3:30 today! I have a meeting at 3:30, clinical skills from 4-7 and another 1/2 meeting for our CPC after skills...tommorow, I have only 4 hours, doing my family medicine elective whereas Thursday, I go from 8:30 to 5:00pm. It really does vary!! Like I said before, flexibility is key!!

Hope that helps!

J

Guest macdaddyeh

Hi everyone. Consistent with the theme, "What is life like as a Mac student?" I would like to know if or how it is difficult to study medicine at McMaster for those with limited or no science background. Do any of you have little science background or have anyone in your tutorials in this situation. Do you/they find it difficult to adjust? Do you/they do things "differently?"

;)

Guest MDWannabe

Hi Macdaddyeh,

Everyone comes to the programme with a number of deficiencies, and most of us are keenly aware of what they are. We all have one or more things we have to work on, and it is primarily up to us to find the resources to overcome our particular hurdles.

The range of science backgrounds in the programme is, as I'm sure you've heard, pretty wide. Off the top of my head, probably about 3/4 are your standard 3rd and 4th year undergrads with hard core sciences, but there is a significant minority with something less. The majority of this minority have something science related in their background, but at the far end of the spectrum, there are a few with absolutely no post-secondary sciences.

Do they do things differently? Clearly. Unit 1, which is more focused on process than hard core learning, serves very different purposes for different individuals.

Many of the 'science people' call it "Unit Fun", since they feel more or less on top of the biology side of the equation. Their challenge is to get used to the Mac system: the idea of becoming a life long self directed learner, who can find things and evaluate what they find independently. They might have more of a learning curve on the communication side (but not necessarily). They tend to think of Unit 1 as being too long and want to get on with the hard core stuff.

The non-science people have a huge learning curve to climb. They might be more comfortable on the 'psycho-social' side of the bio/psycho/social model, and focus much effort on learning the basic sciences. They will spend more time in the anatomy lab and meeting with preceptors who can help them with the basic sciences. They will have to back up from some of the more conventional library resources and learn the basics on their own to give them the grounding they need to understand the reference books we all use in med school. To do that, they might go so far as to spend time on Google looking for high school resources. You can't overestimate the amount of work needed to overcome this hurdle, and not everyone in the programme believes that it is appropriate for non-science students to be here in the first place. Many think they bring a balance to the programme that you wouldn't get in a more homogenous school. Both the science and the non-science students can benefit from the different qualities they bring to the table. Your small group is one of the best resources available for evaluating your progress as you climb the curve - and this is true for almost everyone in the programme.

I'm told that by the end of the first year, we are all pretty much on par, but obviously, we all take a different path to get there.

Good luck!

Guest macdaddyeh

Hey mdwannabe. Thanks again for a succinct response. :eek

I have a solid foundation in the social sciences and a majority of my science courses are "environmental/earth" sciences ie. climatology, forestry, impact assessment, biology, etc.

Nonetheless, your wilingness and ability to respond well to all of the questions posed by us aspiring physicians are a good indication that you're going to be a great doctor!

Any more advice?

Guest MDWannabe

Again, you'll get wildly divergent answers to the study time question. I've talked to some spend 3-4 hours per day, and less on weekends, if at all. On the other hand, some will pull all nighters before tutorials. There is a massive amount to learn for us all, so we're all finding our way. It takes you back to the question on the ABS which asks how you know when you've learned enough. It is a very relevant question for this program, and every one of us could have a different answer to that question. I look at this programme like it's a marathon. The training is long and drawn out and it's hard sometimes to see the end result when you're so far from it. You have to pace yourself, realize you won't be completely on top of anything yet, and balance your learning time with all the other things you have on your plate, particularly the need for sleep and downtime.

On your other question, I don't know anyone who is dividing up work. This is not like an MBA program where you can each do a part and individually present to each other. Rather, you develop learning objectives together, get as far as you can independently, and then come back together to help fill the inevitable holes. PBL for me has been a guide that helps to beg a lot of questions - not all of them directly concerning the case at hand. The case might involve a particular set of symptoms, but you will WANT to look up associated issues, and will try to make the time to do so. You don't do that if you wait for someone else to present. It would also go against the Mac philosophy, I think, to have the core of the programme become a series of small group lectures. In general assume that 'didactic' is a pretty dirty word around here (although it is happening from time to time).

Guest wileycoyote

"...and not everyone in the programme believes that it is appropriate for non-science students to be here in the first place"

is this from the science students 8o /faculty 0] or both?

:hat

Guest MDWannabe

Sorry if I made you sweat over that line Wiley. It's just talk and it shouldn't be taken too seriously. The official line is clearly that the right type of person should be able to flourish in the programme, and some (albeit a small number) of those people have turned out to be pure non-science students. There is a HUGE learning hurdle for those students to overcome, but based on past history it is not insurmountable. You might be interested to hear a statistic I've heard bandying about at the school: the rate of failure on the LMCCs (licensing exam) is LOWER for students who have designated themselves non-science. That being said, people have opinions, and I've heard the sentiment expressed from both sources. It doesn't seem to have materially affected the diverse makeup of the class.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Carolyn

Oops -- Sorry I didn't introduce this! THis was something I put together about 2 1/2 years ago... thought it might be helpful - probably would have been helpful 4 months ago but I just found it!...

A student perspective on McMaster Medical School Interviews

Congratulations on receiving an interview at McMaster! I hope you’ll enjoy your day here. I remember feeling pretty nervous about my interview so I hope this note will help to reduce some of the anxiety that you may be feeling.

My experience at McMaster

I have had an exceptional experience at McMaster. Problem-Based Learning has proven to work extremely well for me. I’m constantly amazed at how much I’ve learned in such a short time. I’ve had the opportunity to meet and learn from some really fun and interesting people; in tutorials, in small and large group sessions and in a variety of electives.

At McMaster, we have the opportunity to do many electives (working with a physician in order to get some ‘hands-on’ experience). Many of us started right away with horizontal electives (a couple of hours each week). We have our first block electives (full-time) coming up this summer and while many students are staying in Hamilton, a large number of students are travelling across Canada and overseas. Just last week on my internal medicine elective, I worked with a patient who came into the emergency in congestive heart failure. I did the history and physical exam and learned how to write up the report and orders and fill in all the paperwork so that the patient could be admitted to the internal medicine floor. My supervising physician was there by my side for all of it constantly giving me feedback and teaching me new skills. I was excited to realize that I have already built a very strong skill set which allowed me to write up a sound history, to read the chest x-ray, the ECG, to do a clinical exam to help narrow down the diagnosis, to understand the pathophysiology involved in the patient’s condition, and to understand the pharmacological treatments which we were prescribing. And to think that only a year ago I was busy preparing for my interview!

I’ve really enjoyed the opportunity to get involved in my medical education. As President, I represent students on a variety of committees. Over half of our class is involved in the Student Council. From the social reps to the unit-planning reps it is evident that we have a lot of opportunities to direct our education.

I know that last year I was wondering what a typical week is for a student at Mac. One of the best things about Mac is that there really isn’t a typical week! However, I’ve tried my best to show you the varied experiences we have during the week. You’ll notice that there is a lot of free time to prepare for tutorials, add in electives and still pursue extra-curricular hobbies (including full-nights of sleep!).

(I can't actually get the table in here - I'll talk to Ian and see if it is possible to post the html page)...

How should I prepare for my interview day?

Video

The video is usually a short simulation of a patient(s)/physician interaction. It is an opportunity to illustrate your emotional intelligence. Don’t get overly worried about it – just write down all of your observations.

Simulated Tutorial

The simulated tutorial is an opportunity to show off your interpersonal skills. You will be given a topic of discussion and be asked to contemplate it with 5 or 6 other applicants. The group will be behind a one-way mirror and will be assessed by a team made up of one community member, one faculty member and a student. There is a blackboard there but using it is optional. The purpose of the simulated tutorial is not to show how much you know but your teamwork skills. Your group does not need to come to a conclusion. Try to have fun with it.

I realized that I would probably be very nervous in this situation. With five others in my group, what if one of them was over-bearing, or rude, or didn’t say anything? I imagined some horrible scenarios! However, I then realized, having worked in lots of groups before with lots of interesting characters, I had the skills I needed. I thought through these experiences and was prepared to show that I could work in a variety of group environments. In the end my group was great. It was a neat opportunity to meet and get to know some very interesting people.

There is also time put aside for feedback. There are a couple of minutes for individual and a couple of minutes for group feedback. Remember that it is imperative to have strong self-assessment skills at McMaster. So if you feel like you or the group could have improved in any way, it is important to identify that in your feedback. It is also important to identify what your strengths were.

The Interview

The interview team is made up of one community member, one faculty member and a student. They have your autobiographical sketch but have NOT read your autobiographical submission (essays). You have an opportunity to prove to this group that you understand what the McMaster programme is all about: a three year intensive programme which uses a problem based, self-directed approach to learning, within the context of small groups. You can show them why Mac would be lucky to have you and why you want to be at Mac. I prepared for this part by coming up with five experiences that I believed illustrated who I was and why I was an excellent candidate. I used the autobiographical essay as a guide, recognizing that the questions asked on the application were the skills I required to be successful at Mac. While the team is asking the questions, recognize that it is your answers that are really leading the interview. Take the opportunity to tell them what you think they should know about you, but also remember to do this within the context of the questions that are being asked.

I was told before my interview that the assessors are supposed to remain as neutral as possible, so as not to build false hope in applicants. Remember that people show their neutrality in a variety of ways. Try not to let the interviewers disposition affect how you communicate with them.

What other resources are available?

I would definitely do a literature search on McMaster’s Medical School, check out the articles listed on the website, look at http://www.interviewfeedback.com and read some of the discussion boards on the internet (both http://www.delphi.com/anandmed and http://www.geocities.com/mdpremie are good!).

Take advantage of your hosts and hostesses on the day of your interview, they are there to answer any of your questions and hopefully will help to provide you with a better idea of what your experience at McMaster Medical School will be like.

All the best.

Carolyn Snider

President, McMaster Medical Student Council

Addendum: January 4, 2003

I just found this and thought I’d add a bit – a year and a half after my last note, I can only say that my experience has been just as good and perhaps even better!

Clerkship

I finished my core rotations of my clerkship in December and we now have 8 weeks of block elective. Our clerkship is made up of the following:

8 weeks Medicine

(6 wks General Medicine, 2 wk Geriatrics)

8 weeks Surgery

(4 wks General Surg, 2 wks Ortho, 2 wks Selective (e.g. plastics, trauma, peds surg, neurosurg etc (there are a whole bunch to choose from)

6 weeks Family Medicine

(includes 1 week Emerg)

6 weeks Psychiatry

6 weeks Obs/Gyn

(includes 2 wks on Labour & Delivery, 2 wks in community preceptor’s clinic (does regular gyne check ups, pre-natals, and gyne surgery, and 2 wks specialty clinics (e.g. colposcopy, STD clinic, high-risk pregnancy clinic)

6 weeks Pediatrics

(incl. 2 weeks on the general ward, 2 wks in community pediatrician’s clinic, 1 week specialty clinics, 1 week Level 2 Nursery (NICU step-down))

16 weeks Elective (2 blocks of 4 weeks during the core clerkship year + 8 weeks after the core rotations are over (jan & Feb of final year)

Clerkship has been an amazing experience for learning. You really end up developing you physician personality and have ample opportunity to learn new skills. The learning curve is pretty steep and I am absolutely amazed at the amount of information my brain has amassed in the last year.

Life during clerkship starts to mirror what life is like at as a physician. We take call (at times every 4th night you stay in the hospital overnight and hopefully leave by noon the next day). You are assigned your own patients and have to do the whole workup – present the patients to residents and staff and write the orders (they have to be co-signed by an MD though)… You are required to do presentations for the team on different topics. When you finish work for the day – if you get to go home! – you find there is a heck of a lot of reading to do whether it be around your patients, a topic you need to present on, or preparing for your academic day. However, I must admit it never got out of hand. Being in the trenches makes the reading way easier as you really get a better understanding of what and how much to read. As well, it is always easier to remember and motivate yourself when there is a patient’s face attached to the information you are learning!

Clerkship definitely comes with more responsibility but you always should have someone around to bounce questions off of. In fact, I believe that one of the most important responsibilities of being a clerk is asking for help. You’d be amazed how little some people expect of you and of course there are those that expect you to have memorized Robbins, Harrisons, Merck Manual and all of the last 4 year’s issues of New England Journal of Medicine. I have learned that you get a lot more respect by saying: “I don’t know the answer to that. I will read about that tonight and get back to you tomorrow if that is okay…” rather than trying to BS your way through – it is painfully obvious to everyone around you.

Most people are apprehensive when they start clerkship; however, I can honestly say that clerkship is an amazing learning experience and a lot of fun!

Residency Selection

We had to have the first part of our application in (an expanded C.V.) at the beginning of October. The rest of our application (letters of references, personal letters to each programme, transcripts etc) were are due at the end of November. Just before the holiday we were notified of which interviews we received (just as stressful as waiting for medical school invites!). Residency interviews are supposed to be scheduled from January 10 – 31. We rank the programmes where we were given interviews in the order that we wish to be placed. The programme directors rank all of the students which they interviewed. (actually they don’t have to rank you if they really don’t want you and you shouldn’t rank them if you don’t want to go there as you are legally obliged to go there after you rank them if you get matched there). This ranking has to be done by mid-February. At the end of February match day arrives – February 27 for us. At noon, we can look on the online system to find out where we’ve been matched. Unmatch day is February 25 – that day those who didn’t match at any programmes get notified and the left-over spots are identified. The match process for the 2nd iteration starts again with applications, interviews etc. with the 2nd match occurring at the end of March.

Unit 6

This year we will be the first to have a new Unit 6 in March and April. It looks quite interesting with topics such as Health Policy, legal issues, health economics and ethics. We also have about 2 – 3 days a week scheduled with review lectures for our board exams and lots of time to study for the exams in there.

In Summary

I hope that this has been helpful – it is important to recognize that this is truly just from my experience alone and others may have very different experiences. However, I remember there being so much mystery around the whole medical school experience. I hope that this will help uncover some of that mystery.

Best of luck in your journey!

Carolyn Snider

MD 2003, McMaster University

Guest walkorbike

Hello,

Just to mention, The Health Journal: Canada's Authority on Healthy Living, a freebie magazine in some Cdn. pharmacies, has a photo essay in this issue (vol 7 no 2) called 'Med school 101: a day in the life with McMaster med students.' Inspired by the recent tv series, it follows a first and a second year student for a day. If you are an applicant and read it, it will make you want to go to Mac more than ever.

Guest nicolekavita

Jmh20005:

You wrote,

"We use the problems as a stimulus for learning (no, we DO NOT try to SOLVE the problem, per se)...too many people told me PBL was to 'learn all the answers'...yes, to come to some conclusions about the patients presenting problems, sure, but the overall purpose of PBL is to generate discussion and learn the basics through the presentation of a case or problem. OK...sorry about that, just some feedback from the autobios I just finished reading...oh, and don't forget to answer the question they ask of you, I can't stress that enough...answer the question!!!!!"

I felt a weakness in my stomach after reading this. I believe I used the word "resolve" in my response to the question "What is your understanding of PBL."

Did you immediately assign a reduced score if someone used that word in the PBL question?

Guest jmh2005

Hi Nicolekavita,

Don't worry about what I wrote. I am one out of probably a few hundred readers. I ranted on that post because there were a few submissions that said PBL is only about solving problems and said nothing much more in the remaining 600 characters. You are right, part of PBL is 'resolving' and yes, even 'solving' problems at times. But it is also much more than that...PBL as I said, uses a problem as a stimulus to learn facts, concepts, physiological mechanisms, etc...PBL allows you to select your own learning tools/resources whether it be through a discussion with a clinican, a study from a journal, review article, a text book, a video, etc...PBL allows students to put learning into context, therefore can promote retention, etc...(and all that other stuff I wrote earlier..)

I don't want to dig myself a hole here, so I'm going to stop. PBL is hard to describe, and it does mean different things to different people I suppose. This is my 2nd degree using PBL and it is near and dear to my heart because I think it is the best way to learn medicine.

And to your last question, I did not penalize submissions that used the word solve, resolve, etc...I looked at the entire question and asked myself if this person really understands the process or not and whether or not that was clearly articulated (like I said, did they fully answer the question?).

Hope that helps to relieve some anxiety, I'm sorry if I mislead anyone, because I probably shouldn't have made that comment in the 1st place!

Take care,

J

Archived