Premed 101 Forums

question about mac

Guest pasoo

Guest pasoo

Hi guys,

I have a few minor questions before confirming my acceptance into the program...

1) on the letter of admissions, it says school starts on Aug 25....but when does orientation (:rollin ) start?

2) Is there a list of special equipment (eg. stethescopes etc..) which we need to purchase b4 school starts?

thanks

Guest k8termd

Hi there

O- week starts on Aug 25th. During that week you will meet your first group, first tutor, have various housekeeping lectures and there will be lots of fun activities! Some people started tutorials at the end of the first week, my group waited to start tutorials until the following Monday. Its completely up to your group and your tutor!! School "officially" starts the Monday after O-week. (Actually I believe that is Labour Day Weekend so it starts Tuesday Sept. 2)

Don't worry about buying anything before you come. There will be an equipment sale in the fall where you can buy stethoscopes and anything else you want at lower prices. I would hold off on buying books as well until you get here and get started. That way you know exactly what you need. There is no rush.

Hope that helps

Congrats!:D

Guest mcmed

Like k8termd said, O-week is a ton of fun and its the official start of school (Aug 25th). During that week you have some lectures about how to use/find resources, you meet your group, you get your picture taken for you id badge, and most importantly, you meet your new classmates :)

As for buying things, wait until the sale that was mentioned as it really will save you money!!!

Guest pasoo

thank you for your info...

what about laptops? do you people find laptops useful? i'd like to buy a dell or ibm laptop, but do you know if you get special discounts because you are a Mcmaster student?

thanks

Guest MDWannabe

You brought up a subject near and dear to my heart! There are a few of us who use laptops all the time, and a very few of us who use them in tutorials. I find mine to be pretty essential. My view is that ultimately, the internet is where we will get virtually all our information, especially when we are out there practicing; so in the resource search scheme of things, you should start learning to get those internet-available resources NOW. I'm not sure, however, that a huge number of my classmates would agree on this point yet, and many of them still pull hard copies directly out of library resources.

In short, you can certainly get away without a laptop for now. Don't expect great deals when you come, as I don't think there is enough bulk demand yet. Maybe your class would be different!

Guest WesternGirl

I personally don't feel its essential to have a laptop at Mac (I don't have one). In all three of my groups, at least one person has had a laptop which they could bring to our presentations. Otherwise, you could either ask a classmate to borrow theirs for the presentation or borrow it from the MD office. And so far, it hasn't been really important in any of my tutorials.

Also, if you prefer to study in the library, then perhaps a laptop would be really useful, so you could bring it with you. I like to study at home, so my desk top is fine with me.

The benefits of a laptop would be if you travel out of the city for any electives, you can easily bring it with you. But then, I can put most of my things on my PDA, so I think I'm ok for now.

Archived