Premed 101 Forums

The Official Waitlisters' Thread

Guest VwDubber

Guest macdaddyeh

OK, OK, I know, I know....the process is agonizing if I want to be brutally honest with myself and fellow posters.

My question is, does anyone know what makes someone be on the "primary" versus the "secondary" waitlist. Is it simply 138 then the waitlisters are split evenly between two piles or is there just a small primary list and a gargantuan secondary list or vice versa? I don't see why admissions won't divulge our relative positions.

Moreover, if one looks at officials admissions stats from

www.acmc.ca/AdmissionBook/MCMweb.html is it safe to assume from the numbers indicated that all one has to do is look at the number for "offer declined" and that will be equal to the number of people who will be cleared off the waitlist. If so, it's not a very big number (at least not in comparison to the near 400 total people that were interviewed).

Anyone have any insight on my observations and comments?:rolleyes

Guest jmh2005

Last year...128 offers intially...and through the grape vine...there were 89 waitlisted, the rest were given a 'rejection' letter.

10 more spots opened up in early July (gov't increased seats)...not likely to happen this year from what I have unofficially heard, 138 is probably the max capacity for resources!!...therefore the class of 138.

Apparently, not everyone got off Mac's waitlist last year...someone posted here not too long ago and said they were waitlisted but didn't get in (my only source of that info...) so take that as you will.

Now, many offers will be rejected...say 40 out of the 128 (it's probably higher than that...), so you think that the 1st 40 on the waitlist will be called...but some people on Mac's waitlist probably got in somewhere else and want to go to the school they got in outright...so those people come off Mac's waitlist once they have accepted a firm offer, therefore maybe you just lost 15 to 20 more people who are now off the waitlist...now the top 55 to 60 on the primary list have potentially an offer...the odds are in your favour if you are on the primary list.

The million dollar question is...how long is the primary list? If it is only 50...they would probably have to dig into the top of the secondary list to fill all spots...if the primary list is 100...then digging into the secondary list is less likely (but still possible, these things change so much from one year to the next...).

Everyone would have been ranked according to their scores (however they figure that one out, apparently 50 interview, 50 everything else) and that's how they would have come to who gets on what list and what spot you are in...

But after all this talk...I have to agree knowing exactly where you stand is more useful...

Best of luck to everyone...

Guest Blackbird15

Hey VDub and GM,

Just out of curiosity, are you guys planning on taking the MCATs at all, in case Mac doesnt work out this year? Don't get me wrong, I think you two are both excellent candidates for Mac, but there is a certain element of luck that goes into getting in there (for other med schools as well, actually). It might be a good idea to cast a wider net. I know the MCATs are a gigantic pain in the ass (you don't have to tell me!), but just think that, with good MCAT scores, you could probably get into any med school you want! Also, let me know if you need any help with the next application cycle (though lets hope it doesn't come to that; remember, they extended the waitlist for a reason -- there's still hope!).

take care,

Blackbird

Guest VwDubber

Hiya Bbird flying in the sky!

Yes, I just wrote this past April's MCAT and will get my results in about 2 weeks. I'm praying that they're decent so I don't have to rewrite and of course so that I can apply to other schoools.

Montreal is such a beautiful city (I lived there for 8 yrs) and McGill is such an amazing school. I'm sure you will love it!

Thanks for the offer of assistance. It's really sweet of you! I will holler if have any questions (I'll also try to time it when you have 15 gazzillion midterms .. hahahaha ...j/k:p :P :p :P :p :P :p :P :p )

Is your apt. near the university? I used to live near St. Joe's Oratory (Cote des neiges area).

You are in Europe right now right? If so how is your trip going? Just think ... you'll be well rested for Med-school when you come back. How awesome is that eh?

Take Good Care,

Vdub-

Guest VwDubber

If what Macdaddy was told by admissions is true, then I am truly dissapointed at Mac for misleading people like me into thinking I have a chance (even though they indicated it was small) when they very well know I don't.

No one has posted that they actually received a rejection letter (vs. other years) so I have further reason to believe what MacDaddy was told is true.

No one wants to be rejected but it's even worse to add people to a pretentious secondary waitlist only to give them false hopes of being admitted. I am treating my letter as a rejection and will most likely not be applying to Mac again if I can confirm.

Most of the people on here have been very supportive and kind. You will do very well at Mac or wherever you go.

Good Luck to all those who are still waiting and hoping to be called.

Vdub-

Guest everyoneloveschem

Okay, so what I don't get, is why secondary waitlist us instead of reject us? It's not like we're stupid and we can't make the connection that secondary waitlist=rejection (by a different name, but hey a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet, right?). So is it in case they actually go through the primary waitlist and use the secondary one, so that we aren't un-rejected, but rather pulled off a waitlist? Is it because they have no backbone? Is it because we did so well that no one deserved to be rejected (as I believe a Mac sec told someone who called in), which is silly, we are being rejected, but in a cruel way. I mean, sure 180 people can die, decline Mac, decide that Med isn't for them and then the secondary waitlist might move, but in reality...

Okay, so I'm not bitter, more just confused why they chose such a weird conclusion for so many of us. Also were there absolutely no drooling fools obvious rejections out of 400 people? Strange to say the least.

I was thinking of writing a nice email to the admin saying how I had appreciated the interview, accept the outcome but would really appreciate any feedback they can give me, to improve for next time (otherwise what did I learn, right?). Do you think that will fly, and we should all do it in the hopes that they get the hint.

Guest macdaddyeh

Everyoneloveschem:

Good idea. I'm also a wee annoyed in retrospect not at the fact that I didn't get in (because what is meant to be is meant to be and what is done is done) RATHER I am frustrated at the whole process.

Sending a silly "secondary waitlist letter"? How lame! Moreover, if Mac is so much into evaluation and PBL, why did we get *NO* chance for feedback on the interview day or afterwards? Why don't they send us our results so we could "measure our progress" and "learn how to improve" (all the buzz phrases at Mac).

Again, I'm not bitter with the letter, just the lack of follow-up, Mac admin support, the zero transparency/accountability and the contradictory notion of "self-evaluation" etc.

Guest stargirl

Macdaddyeh,

I totally agree with you...Mac of all schools should give feedback since it "jives" with their "mission" and all that...

Hmmm...maybe we're supposed to self-evaluate our performance on the interview as well...except by that token, quite a few of us thought we did just fine on our interviews and KNOW (have self-evaluated - hee hee) that we would be good doctors...and therefore we should also be able to self-evaluate ourselves a spot in the class - hee hee...

Re: secondary waitlist...give me a break! They thought everyone did a fantastic job and they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings with a rejection? Come on! If you are going to become a doctor, you should be able to deal with failure, rejection etc. Some of your patients are going to die no matter what you do etc. What the sec. waitlist is is a nice way of covering their butts...just my penny's worth...

Macdaddyeh...just want to say congrats on your new baby! What better way to spend the next year than getting to know that new person and watching her develop...meds will always be there but you'll never get to relive those first few years of your child's life! And in my opinion, parenting is the most valuable and meaningful job you'll ever have...

stargirl

Guest macdreams

My goodness! What a lot has happened in a week!! :D I think some CoNgRaTuLaTiOns to my Mac Mock buddies are in order!! :D :D

Lynlloyd: I’m so glad you got in!! You totally deserve it. Do you think the number had anything to do with it? Tee hee hee. :b

Blackbird: Congrats to you on getting into Mac… but I’m super happy you got into McGill, too, seeing as it was your first choice. Everyone I know that has lived in Montreal loved it so I’m sure you will too! Thanks again for editing my 15 questions. I really appreciate your help! :)

Nams: Awesome news, Nams! I’m thrilled you made it. You totally give me hope seeing as I seem to be following in your footsteps (undergrad at U of T, year off to work etc.) :b Have a super summer!

MacForMe: Getting into dentistry AND meds in one year? Way to go! I’m so glad you got in to Mac, knowing that it was your first choice. Bravo! Enjoy

commencement. :D

WTBMED3: Hey, way to go! I really enjoyed meeting you at the mock session and wish you all the best next year! :)

OOP-ers Shelly and Jbird: Super job, guys!! Best of luck next year! :D

Danny, toothy?? Any news? I’m dying to know?!? :rolleyes

Congrats again to everyone for getting this far...

MacDreams

Guest tirisa

Hi all,

I didn't get an interview this year, so I can't imagine what it's like to be on this so-called secondary waitlist. But I totally agree with Macdaddyeh and stargirl regarding the fact that feedback is definitely called for. I understand that it may be impossible to give feedback to those of us who did not receive interviews, since there were 3400 of us. But I think that MAC should be able to offer feedback of some sort to the 200 or so people on the secondary waitlist. (Although, I can see how they may not be able to do that until after the class has been filled, given the amount of work that the admin office likely has right now).

As for calling it a secondary waitlist, yeah, that is strange and unnecessary. But I agree that it may be a CYA approach so that people don't get "un-rejected" if they make it to that list.

Regardless, congratulations to those who got in and to those on the first waitlist... and congrats too to those on the secondary list, because you can rest assured that you've got the application down pat, and you've had experience with the interview now, so you'll all be shoo-ins for next year's class I'm sure.

Macdaddy... felicidades por el nacimiento de su hija. Debe ser una maravilla enorme de ser papa. Aproveche del ano siguiente de conocer a su hija. Felicidades otra vez.

Cheers,

Tirisa

Guest Blackbird15

Hey VDub,

Yep, I'm in Rome right now. It's got a cybercafe with cheap internet access, so I've been checking this site to see how everyone did with meds, but i'm leaving tomorrow, so that'll be the end of that. I'm having an awesome time! My email is blackbird195@yahoo.ca. Drop me a line if you need help with med apps stuff!

take care,

Blackbird

P.s. I know what you mean about that secondary waitlist business... it sounds like application purgatory!

Guest grandmellon

Hey everyone... it's sizzling here in toronto today hot HOT HOT n e ways

I would have to say that the secondary list is out of this world... but I think it's definitely like the lottery because they just gave us the tickets and we just have to wait for the numbers. After being on a waitlist before I know how frustrating it is to know how close you are but yet how you are being held back... they've invited you to the doorstep but haven't let you open the door. The good thing is that the door does open and eventually you will be able to sneak in there! So Hang on and don't lose hope!!!

Blackbird... frightingly, I'm going to have to do the MCAT plus get a whole crawpload of pre req's so I can apply to more school next year. :eek I've got my work cut out for me... but hey.. I'm going to africa in 14 days :rollin so hakuna matata

I'm going to work on my number 7 speach for next year's interview(z) .

I hope you have enjoyed rome!! (Watch out for the italian men... they love foreigners) I'm planning on doing a stopover there on my way back so save some pasta for me

Guest macdreams

Oh gosh!! I wrote this whole big P.S. to waitlisters but just noticed that for some reason it didn't end up in my post! :rolleyes Sheesh!

VW, Mellon, PDSP: I just wanted to tell you two that I'm thinking about ya. :P Like Mellon, I know a little about being on waitling lists and just how frusturating it can be. I sincerely hope you guys make it in this year. BEST OF LUCK!! MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED!! :D

Best of luck to all the "moms" and "dads" too (Erin'sMom, MacDaddy, MumFirst) and anyother waitlisters I forgot! Keep your hopes up!! I'm rooting for ya! :D

Have a great weekend everyone!!

md

Guest macdaddyeh

Thanks everyone for your well wishes concerning the birth of my new daughter...

Concerning the med school wait, misery loves company, so this has been very therapeutic for me. I'm resigned to the fact that another year off would actually not be that bad and might actually be beneficial to my sanity...

I'll be watching and waiting as the waitlist clears. Best wishes to all; from what I can guage here on-line, many of you will make great docs!:)

Guest Namgalsip

Hey guys,

After a long and hard decision process, I have decided to accept UofT's offer. I had a great time with some of you at our fabulous practice sessions and gettogethers (and I'll definitely be attending the next one as well). I really hope our paths will cross again.

To all those on the waitlist, at least one spot has opened up.

You should be hearing real soon. Good luck to all.

Nams

Guest grandmellon

thanks Nams! You are way too kind. I know that the only reason why you chose UofT is because you wanted to open up a space for me and the other waitlisters at Mac... so kind of you hehehe :rollin

Sounds like you had a very difficult decision to make with regards to a school. At least you are familiar with the school and will have lots of opportunities there!

How come noone else has signed up for thursday's gettogether???? Comeon PEOPLE!!! :eek :P See you all soon

GM

Guest everyoneloveschem

So I wrote a nice email to Mac, explaining how I had appreciated the interview, but wouldn't feedback be lovely. I got a form answer back from the secretary saying due to the high volume of applicants there will be no feedback. So typical!

Guest Lynlloyd

Congratulations on making your decision Nams. It must have been difficult.

I have to say, however, that I was hoping that we could have been class mates in the fall.

The very best of luck to you and may our paths cross again sometime.

Lynlloyd.

Guest macdreams

Hey Nams,

Congrats on your decision. I'm sure you made the right one for you! (Though I'm pretty sure you would have fit in anywhere!) :P

Best of luck (& hope to see you at the gettogether!)

md

Guest Krish

Hey all,

I am accepting UWO's offer and declining MAC though I think that MAC is a great school. The waitlist moves!!

Good luck!

Krish

Guest everyoneloveschem

Okay, going back to the lack of feedback issue, I was thinking today, how hard would it be for them to send us some feedback. If they were to send feedback to those who were offered interviews, but didn't get into Mac or another school (if they get into another school and go there, so be it, they don't need feedback), that would probably whittle it down to ~200 people. If they further made it somewhat secret, like you had to write in requesting it, it might narrow it down a bit more. I think that's not too much to ask for all the hours and cash we put into our applications, but I'm just a lowly reject (oh, sorry, secondary waitlistee;) ).

Archived