Premed 101 Forums

Welcome new moderators!

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Thank you MDWannabe (or is that MDGonnabe?) for joining up as a moderator. He's heading into his second year of med school at McMaster. Thank you for all your contributions!

Ian

Guest MDWannabe

Hi Ian,

I know the fail rate is low, but I'm taking nothing for granted and sticking with the MDWannabe name! Thanks for bringing me in.

Guest jmh2005

Welcome to my classmate MDWannabe...your contributions have helped many over the past several months, thanks for signing on 'officially'...I'll be heading up north and won't be on-line as much as usual, so your timing is perfect!! Thanks again!!

Guest Never2Late

I'm in Thunder Bay. Too bad we won't see you at this end of the North.

Good luck to you in Sudbury - hope your experience goes well.

Guest jmh2005

Ahh..TBay...a fun town...the real 'north', I believe several of my classmates are heading up in that direction...I miss the pancakes at the Hoito!! I did an elective up there in 98 when I was an OT student...very fun!! Thanks for the wishes, best to you as well!!

Guest Never2Late

That was a fast response...

I was also going to ask - do you have any choice as to whether or not you travel around the province? Ie: you going to Sudbury. Or is it expected? (Excluding residency)

Just so happens we went to Hoito last weekend... however - my family prefers my own pancakes to those at Hoito (mine come from my Grandmother's authentic recipe) Just had to brag. But we also enjoy going there too!

Guest jmh2005

Never2late,

You can literally go anywhere for electives...they only recommend you not go to places on Canada's 'non-recommended list' (you know what I mean, the gov'mts list). People are going everywhere, all parts of Canada (small tiny town, big cities...), some to the US, Jamaica, South Africa, England, Africa, Asia...

I have family in Sudbury who I never get to see, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to go there. ER and FM are my passion and they have a great program though NEP (Northeastern Electives Program) they let you do lots, so hopefully I'll learn a tonne! A great program for FM-EM in Sudbury, but I don't like the idea of moving from city-to-city every 6-8 weeks...

off topic...I just found a recipe for the finnish pancakes they serve at the Hoito!! I just got all sentimental...as if you were there last week!! A fun place...we toured everywhere what a great time... Kakabeka Falls and I actually climbed the 'chimney' at the Sleeping Giant!!...I didn't think I would make it up!! I'm not best outdoors woman!!

I'm getting this thread totally off topic..nice to chat with you, I must go and finish off some work, take care!

Guest Never2Late

So you can travel all over if you WANT to during electives... but don't HAVE to if you chose not to?

Sorry if I'm being a pest but I just want to make sure that I am understanding this correctly. (For example, in considering a potential move for our family for the purpose of going to med school I am wondering if extensive travel would be absolutely required during those years in school. As I have indicated earlier, I realize that this does not apply to one's residency).

(PS let me know if your recipe requires any fine tuning - Finnish Pancakes are one area in which I can be a source of information to you at this point. - hahaha)

Your reply (when you are not busy with other work to do) will be appreciated. Thanks.

Guest Never2Late

I realize that I took this thread totally off topic with all of my posts. Sorry for my ramblings and I'll start new topics as required from now on. ("I do, hereby solemnly swear....")

Everyone is just SOOooooo helpful around here!

Guest jmh2005

No worries, I'm always the first one to get things off track...

Sorry I didn't answer your question...NO you don't need to worry in the least, you can go wherever you like and you are NEVER forced to go anywhere you don't want to...in clerkship there are a few places like Brantford, St. Catherines as options, but people always want those...so don't worry in the least...

If my newly found recipe doesn't turn out...I'll let you know...sound like you have a good one!!

Take care

Archived