Premed 101 Forums

Tip-Toeing MMI

j17f

I know we shouldn't tip-toe around answers or try to get ourselves out of the scenario when answering an MMI question, but let's say I have a question where I have to speak to my neighbour about their cat peeing on my flowers, and after speaking to my neighbour I find out their cat is dying. In reality I would explore if there were any easy solutions, but if the neighbor's cat loves the outdoors, I would be fine to look the other way.

Would this be considered "tip-toeing" around what the scenario wants us to do? Or are they expecting me to push back and get my neighbor to stop her cat from further peeing on my garden?

@Jfourn No wrong answers! If you personally would be okay with letting that go because the cat is dying, then just simply make that clear in a compassionate way. You're letting the evaluators get an idea of who you are, and if you're the type of person who would let it go then do so. Unless you are given a clear task to accomplish (like the prompt says you must fire someone - then do that, or you could hurt yourself in that station) then you're okay to follow your own values about a situation.

After doing my first interview this cycle and looking back on my acting station I really wish I had simply acted as I would have in real life. Instead I got scared about what they were "looking for" and made a decision that perhaps wasn't the most professional because I was afraid of the actor's character being upset with me in front of the evaluator. In real life, I would have stuck to my principles, because I have experience doing that and I know what my principles are. I think I would have been a lot more satisfied coming out of that station if I had done that instead.

Archived