Premed 101 Forums

To:jmh2005

Guest MDbadly

Guest MDbadly

Hi jmh2005,

I read from your previous post that you were a graduate of the OT/PT programme at Mac. Could I ask you to remember back when filing out the OMSAS application, how you entered those courses? If I remembered correctly, there were 11 units or something (each unit lasted approx. 4-5 weeks). So did you entered it as 1/2 course (1 value) or full course (2 value)???

The reason I asked because, 2 years back when I applied, I entered Mac OT/PT courses as 1/2 courses and there were no corrections by OMSAS. My GPA was great but I missed the cut-off for a school by .01 or something.Then last year, I did the same thing but OMSAS corrected these courses to full year equivalent having (2 value). I was soooo upset since last year was the only year I made the cutoff by their previous calculations but now OMSAS all of the sudden changed on me. It messed up my GPA in such a way that I was not even remotely close to any cutoff. I not only wasted money but a huge false hope that i may of received an interview all these time trying.

Could you help me out. Sorry I didn't know any other way to reach you.

Thanks a lot!

Guest jmh2005

MDbadly,

What I did was carefully look at each 'course', clinical skills, PBL, Inquiry and see how many units each course was worth. Look at your official transcript only...

Due to the wierd length of some of our courses there were ones that were 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 units...

This is what I did...

Any course that was 2, 3 or 4 units, I considered it to be a HALF-YEAR COURSE (or a 1.0 conversion on the OMSAS scale)

Any course that was 5, 6 or 7 units, I considered it to be a FULL-YEAR COURSE (or a 2.0 conversion on the OMSAS scale)

I didn't have any thing above 7 units...to me 11 units is almost 2 full-year courses...

OMSAS seemed to accept this as no changes were made to my average during my application back in 2001.

However, now with the new Master's program things are different (when did you graduate?)... You must hold the degree in order to use the marks and I believe that that it is your overall GPA from that degree that is counted (so 2 GPA years would be counted?)...my degree was considered an undergrad so each of my courses individually counted towards my overall GPA. If you hold the BHSc degree you would be in the same boat I was, but if you hold the MCHSc degree you had better check with both OMSAS and McMaster.

I hope that helps...let me know if I was unclear...again, things may have changed and OMSAS and MAC always have the FINAL say!!

Take care!

Guest MDbadly

jmh2005, thank-you very much for your time. Everything is clear now for me. Prior to this, I always wondered if OMSAS made a mistake last year or they didn't caught it the year prior. Either time, I was without an interview. I didn't apply since but I remembered your way was correct since they changed mine similar to the scale you used.

Thanks again. I wish you much happiness and success in school and your future as a doctor.

Guest jmh2005

MDbadly,

Thank you for your kind wishes.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP, if this is your dream...DO NOT GIVE UP!!

...with your background, dedication and hard-work you can get an interview...like I have said before..it's all about the sketch...

I also applied twice before getting an interview, it can be done (3 has always been my lucky number!)..so don't despair!

I too, wish you the best of luck! Hope the numbers now work a little bit more in your favour! Take care.

J

Guest tantastic

Hey jmh2005:

Did you apply during your first degree at any time or was it applying 3 times in a row during your physio degree?

Cheers :)

Archived