Premed 101 Forums

Hey Mac Meds have a question for you!

Guest gookie

Guest gookie

Through these threads, I understand the importance of " not repeating yourself in the essay questions", but for me, it seems that some of the questions are the same to a certain degree.

For example, " What does the McMaster undergraduate medical program have to offer you?" vs. "What is your understanding of Problem-Based Learning?How do you think it will facilitate your study of medicin at McMaster?"

Does that mean in the first question, you shouldnt mention much about PBL, even though that is a major reason why?

I want to say that PBL is appealing, because through my experiences blah blah, I was able to etc....but should that go in the second question?

I guess my mainpoint here is that I'm getting confused about what you mean by "don't repeat yourself!"

Thanks

Guest gucio93

I know; the questions are a bit tricky that way. It is important though for you to find a way to put a different spin into each answer, because if you say the same thing over and over again, your essay won't stand out. I would suggest answering the first question (i.e. what does Mac have to offer you?) in broad terms. Briefly talk about PBL, but mention other things as well. I believe this question is designed to make sure that you actually researched the programme itself and know what it is about, besides knowing the catch phrases that people throw around. In the second question (what is PBL?) make sure you give a good definition in your own words, and then you can give your examples as to why you would succeed in that type of environment. Also, remember that PBL and self-directed learning are two different concepts (hence the two questions) so make sure you have a distinct answer for both. Hope that helps.

Guest Carolyn

I remember finding those two questions a challenge at first but once I brainstormed all of the reasons I wanted to go to mac and all of the experiences I figured I could use to support that, I found it much easier to separate it into two answers.

Another tip for those answering questions... Remember that PBL is NOT about just solving a problem - it is about using a problem to define important concepts in medicine. Therefore when we get a problem where the patient has one type of arrythmia, we learn about the whole conduction system of the heart (anatomy, physiology etc. etc) and about all sorts of different arrhythmias, how to read them on an EKG and their various treatments, etc etc. etc.... This is a common misconception about PBL (partially because PBL has been interpreted this way by some other schools - but don't get me back on that soap box:) ).

Archived