Premed 101 Forums

Summer Jobs Before 1st Year or During Dental School

Hi,

I have recently been accepted to UBC DMD. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the types of summer jobs or experiences I can be involved with during the summer before I begin dental school or during the summers between my years within dental school? I am looking for things that are relevant and may help jump start my future as a dentist.

I understand that a common thing to do is to shadow specialties or do research. However, are there other paid experiences (other than research)?

Thanks

I dont think you can/should do much. Theres always time to build connections when you're in school and advance your career. You'll honestly know so much more once you finish first year and then most places might be more willing to show you around the office and let you help our administratively. Enjoy your summer!!! Once you start, you wont get too many more summers off :( 

TBH I'm not really sure if its even be worth the time, especially if your employer is going to pay you min wage or something similar. The reason I say that is because even if you work near full time you're only going to be able to make a few extra grand for your entire summers worth of work, which in a few years time will be a week or two salary... it just doesn't seem worth it to me to spend your whole summer slaving away in a lab for not all that much money given your future earning potential, you already put in the leg work, enjoy your summer! 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, 121227123 said:

Yes I agree! I was able to get a job as an assistant through connections so ask around if possible. Good luck!! 

Same here - received offers to work as an assistant through connections. One of the dentists asked me to not only work as an assistant but also work in other roles in the office, from admin (not reception) to more clinical positions. I suppose one needs to be creative when finding relevant work in the summer but it can be done!

On 2018-04-10 at 9:26 AM, cleanup said:

Work as an assistant or do reception. But it may be tough finding an office that's okay with you only being there for a few months before bouncing, unless they're a very large office with high flexibility; so look for that.

Would it be better to do this or research in the summer? Because a lot of these offices don't want to take the time to train you unless you put in a lot of hours :/ 

1 hour ago, Starburst said:

Would it be better to do this or research in the summer? Because a lot of these offices don't want to take the time to train you unless you put in a lot of hours :/ 

Do research only if you have an interest in it and/or you have an interest in specializing. Otherwise shadow or work in dental practices the summer or travel and relax!

15 minutes ago, Starburst said:

But what looks better for dental school applications?

Both "look" fine. If you haven't done research before, try it out! If you have, I would recommend getting some exposure in the dental office (especially if you haven't shadowed before). Ultimately, do what interests you - you will speak it about it with more conviction and interest in your application and interview.

Archived