Premed 101 Forums

Chances of getting into Dental school in the USA or Australia- Canadian student

I'm a bachelor of science student in my third year of my degree in Alberta, Canada majoring in biology. 
These are my stats:

GPA: 3.704
CDAT: 
19 AA
19 BIO
19 CHEM
19 TS
20 RC
16 PAT

I've got more than 100 hours of shadowing. I've done a lot of volunteering and for long periods of time, I've also started my own club in my university and am an executive for my universities Golden Key Chapter club and have been for two years now. By the time I finish my GPA should be around a 3.75-3.8 I hope. Obviously my scores are average and my PAT is quite low. What are my chances realistically of getting into dental school in the USA or Australia? Should I even bother applying or just retake the DAT? 

Thank you.

Hey there, I dont think anyone here can for sure tell u if u will get an acceptance anywhere but from looking at ur DAT scores, I have to say that a retake is definitely necessary for both US and Aust. schools. I think that the US has a higher standard for canadians so ur 16 PAT will defintiely not fly there. As for australia, when i called to check the average DAT AA/PAT scores accepted canadians have, I was told the avergaes hover around 20/21 ...

You can try taking the US DAT cz ur offered more choices as to the date u can take it instead of having to wait several months before u can take the Canadian one again in Nov., especially since both US and Australian schools (+ some canadian ones) accept the US DAT so ur not losing anything with a retake!

Oh and for ur GPA, i think its competitive for both countries so with a retake, u should be good. 

Goood luck!

8 hours ago, ronzroyce97 said:

I'm a bachelor of science student in my third year of my degree in Alberta, Canada majoring in biology. 
These are my stats:

GPA: 3.704
CDAT: 
19 AA
19 BIO
19 CHEM
19 TS
20 RC
16 PAT

I've got more than 100 hours of shadowing. I've done a lot of volunteering and for long periods of time, I've also started my own club in my university and am an executive for my universities Golden Key Chapter club and have been for two years now. By the time I finish my GPA should be around a 3.75-3.8 I hope. Obviously my scores are average and my PAT is quite low. What are my chances realistically of getting into dental school in the USA or Australia? Should I even bother applying or just retake the DAT? 

Thank you.

GPA is definitely competitive for for US and Australian schools.  some Australian dental schools dont require the DAT for admission such as Griffith and James Cook so you dont need to necessarily retake the DAT. Quality of education will be higher in US and Canada compared to AUS so if money isn't an issue then go to US school and if you are not rich or have rich parents or spouse that can support you then go to cheapest school in Australia. I think the cheapest school in Australia is either Griffith or Charles Sturt with a total tuition of 272000 Australian dollars.  

Archived