Premed 101 Forums

laptop OR desktop?

Guest anon

Guest anon

I'm thinking of getting a new computer. I'm divided between getting a more mobile but more expensive laptop OR a just-as-powerful desktop that is a lot cheaper but can only be used at home.

From what I hear, having a laptop can be very useful for putting together group presentations, taking notes during tutorial sessions, etc. but my question is, is having a laptop absolutely necessary like at U of Ottawa where all students are req'd to buy a laptop? Perhaps some of the current Mac med students can describe some of their experiences.

thanks

Guest gucio93

I distinctly remember answering this same question in the past (maybe I'm loosing it ;) ). Anyways, I don't think laptops are necessary. They are nice to have, but personally a good PC with a larger screen and high speed internet is much better. Oftentimes, someone in the group will have a laptop on which to throw together a presentation, and if not, such equipment is by no means required. In the end, I think it comes down to personal preference, and your own learning style. Do you use your computer to make notes? Do you learn better at home or outside of the home? Those kinds of questions will be useful in helping you make a decision.

Archived