Premed 101 Forums

Do they prefer in-province?

Guest soulstress

Guest soulstress

I am finishing up a degree at UBC this year and was wondering if UOttawa Med prefers Ontario students. I read the OMSAS 2007 manual but it didn't give me a clear answer.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Soulstress, I know for a fact that Ottawa gives preference to applicants in the Ottawa region. In otherwords there is no advantage to being an in-province applicant to Ottawa, unless you live in Ottawa.

Yourself being from BC will have a good chance at BC's med school. I believe there are quite a few people who get accepted with averages in the high 70s with good profile. But I understand you'd like to keep your options open.

Perhaps some of the Ottawa moderators can help me on this one (Admissions hasn't responded to my e-mails). How many years prior to the application deadline to you have to live in Ottawa before being considered an Ottawa resident?

I am finishing up a degree at UBC this year and was wondering if UOttawa Med prefers Ontario students. I read the OMSAS 2007 manual but it didn't give me a clear answer.

Thanks!

I know for a fact that the WGPA cutoff for applicants from Ottawa is much lower than those from outside Ottawa who are not from an 'underserviced area' (as defined by UO) and not francophone. However, I'm not sure if they have a certain number of seats reserved for applicants from Ottawa but there are quite a few individuals in my class from Ottawa (however that can be attributed to the fact the WGPA being lower for them).

Good luck!

Archived