Premed 101 Forums

autobiographical sketch

Guest yak

I'm interested to know what some typical questions asked in McMaster's autobiographical sketch might be. What about popular questions among other medical schools? Any unusual questions that stick out in your mind?

Guest gucio93

The best thing for you to do would be to go to

www.ouac.on.ca and make your way to admissions for medical schools. They have the booklet that gives you instructions for the application to each of the schools in Ontario - including the questions you need to answer. Best of luck!

Guest Ian Wong

Excuse me for butting in where uninvited... It's a really good thing that you are looking at these essays ahead of time. From other posts on this, and the Delphi message board, it really seems like your autobiographical essays are weighted highly in determining the overall competetiveness of your application (Moderators, correct me if I'm wrong).

As a result, you should really spend some qualilty time drafting out those essays, and taking a long look into your past experiences. These experiences should really form the basis of a large part of your essays. I think by using concrete examples of past volunteer work, travel experiences, research, past employment, you can really start to give the Mac admission's folks a better idea of where you are coming from as a person. Don't make the mistake like many of my undergrad friends in procrastinating, and then writing out all your autobiographical sketches 3 days before the submission deadline.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 2 months later...
Guest Chirashi

Ian is right... the autobiographical sketch is very important!

One hint: Simply listing accomplishments and awards is not impressive. Focusing instead on explaining your life experiences and how they affected and shaped you as a person is a much more valuable way to give a reader an impression of you.

Archived