Premed 101 Forums

*McMaster Updates

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Cda MBA

Date:***2/2/2001 7:17 am*PST

Hello,

McMaster's notification process has begun! FYI, I received my letter from McMaster in the post yesterday.

Good luck.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/4/2001 2:55 pm*PST

Thanks for keeping us informed Kirsteen. Please excuse my ignorance, but what does Cda stand for?

Good luck yourself!

Ian

Can, MS2

PS: To everyone out there reading this message board, JOIN IN! Using your real name and e-mail address is optional!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*JN

Date:***2/4/2001 2:57 pm*PST

Hi,

The letter you received from MAC, was it an interview or "sorry to inform you" letter? Congrads if its an interview letter...I thought they were to come out at the beginning of March? If I may ask, what was the date on the letter?

JN

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/5/2001 6:52 am*PST

JN,

Unfortunately, it was a letter of the "sorry" variety. I don't have it around at present, so I can't tell you the postmark date, but I believe that it was posted just prior to receipt.

Ian, "Cda" represented "Canada".

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*JN

Date:***2/5/2001 6:10 pm*PST

I am very sorry to hear about that letter. I applied last year and did not get in...Many people I know have applied (and are excellent candidates),and still they have to reapply once again this year.

Did you apply to other schools? I hope you did, and that it works out for you.

Take care, and good luck with the other schools.

JN

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Dan

Date:***2/5/2001 11:54 pm*PST

Yeah, that's a bummer but don't let it get you down! I was rejected last year as well but I'm back at it this year. Could I ask you this - are you an out-of-province applicant? If so, was it simply your GPA that was insufficient to grant you an interview?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Dan

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/6/2001 6:26 am*PST

Hello and thank you for the condolences, but all that we should all continue be is very optimistic.

In response to your question, I am an Ontario applicant, but, alas, it was my first year marks (12 years ago) which were the stumbling block for Mac. No matter, although I have previously complained about the lack of cohesiveness and similarity between Canadian medical program requirements, factors for selection, and concomitant amount of effort and time spent on different approaches to different applications, it is in cases like this that I find myself breathing a sigh of relief that such diversity exists.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*j

Date:***2/6/2001 11:38 am*PST

i got my denied letter in april i believe... so there's some more waiting i believe.

Kirsteen, Can MBA wrote:

-------------------------------

Hello and thank you for the condolences, but all that we should all continue be is very optimistic.

In response to your question, I am an Ontario applicant, but, alas, it was my first year marks (12 years ago) which were the stumbling block for Mac. No matter, although I have previously complained about the lack of cohesiveness and similarity between Canadian medical program requirements, factors for selection, and concomitant amount of effort and time spent on different approaches to different applications, it is in cases like this that I find myself breathing a sigh of relief that such diversity exists.

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/11/2001 9:16 pm*PST

Heh,

The "diversity" continues even as you enter medical school, and see the wide range of curriculums used by the different schools in Canada. For example, McGill med concentrates all of its basic sciences into 1.5 years. In the second half of year 2, they have an intense clinical orientation where they learn many of the interviewing and physical examination skills that will be used on ther wards in years 3 and 4. Sounds good because by then, you've actually covered the basic science material enough to make sense of the clinical details.

Here at UBC, we have had these clinical skills taught to us since literally the second week in September of first year. I look back on year 1, and laugh at the fact that I was at my assigned family doctor that week, and he told me to take a blood pressure, and the significance of the various Karotkoff sounds. I looked at him and said: "Well, Cardiac Block isn't until April!"

Anyways, just to reiterate the above, each medical school is wildly different. You've already gotten a taste of this by tearing your hair out in frustration over the lack of standardized admissions requirements between the Canadian schools. When you get in, you'll discover the same applies for virtually every part of the curriculum too. The inspiring factor is the knowledge that no matter what, you'll still end up as a good doctor if it's truly within your heart.

Best of luck!

Ian

Can, MS2

PS: To everyone out there reading this message board, JOIN IN! Using your real name and e-mail address is optional!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*kate

Date:***2/22/2001 9:35 am*PST

Hi,

Does anyone know when the rest of the MAC stuff will be coming out? I am getting really nervous!

thanks and good luck to all,

Kate

Archived