Premed 101 Forums

What do you think the chances are for waitlist applicants?

Guest calcio13

Guest calcio13

Hey guys,

OOP applicant. Got put on the waitlist today. I was wondering what you think the waitlist movement will be like. Do they consider OOP waitlist movement and IP waitlist movement separately? I really liked the University of Saskatchewan and would love to be there in the fall. Stats:

4th year, GPA- 3.95, MCAT PS 10, BS 9, VR 9, WS N. Interview score- 20. Let me know what you think.

Take it easy,

calcio13

In previous posts I remember reading that Saskatchewan had moved through its entire OOP waitlist to fill its spots (search the previous threads). I guess U of S is a back up for lots of people.

Guest nonce

The out of prov waitlist does indeed move quite a bit. OOP admission to the u of s is quite difficult in terms of the average for admission. One can assume that the first 5 oop applicants that recieve admission to the u of s will have a fairly high average. IN the same light, then, one can assume having such a high avg. will make them strong candidates for other schools.

For whatever reasons, many of these ppl will choose to go somewhere else.

So yes, waitlists (for in prov, as well) move quite a bit.

Guest MDmmmsure

Hey calcio13........

I'm in the exact same boat as you. 4th year....GPA-3.95, MCAT PS10, BS11, VR8, WSQ. Interview score: 20. I was pretty happy that this was my interview score, and somewhat suprised. It definately felt like the worst of three interviews I had.....buy hey, you never know.......I am different from you in that I wasn't really impressed with UofS, although their strong clinical instruction (coupled with small class size = lots of experience) still keeps this as a viable option for me.......

Ps - is every OOP that isn't offered first round acceptance waitlisted?????

Good luck

Joe

Guest liz80

Hi Calcio and MDmmmsure. I think that the OOP waitlist will probably move a lot. It seems like you guys have stellar grades and the interview scores are very good as well. You also seem pretty much identical in terms of grades/MCAT/interview scores. Funny. I don't know how you didn't get in right off the bat. Weird.:)

Guest kosmo14

The first set of spots given out for OOP are always going to be very competitive. If you think about it the OOP standards are relatively high and therefore the applicants that get an interview are generally stellar with respect to academics. The interview is going to make the difference. Now I imagine with only 6 OOP spots there will be at least 6-10 of those interviewed that will have greater than a 20 in the interview. They will most likely get the intial offers. Now, most if not all of the OOP applicants being very bright and great applicants will do very well elsewhere and that is where the waiting list will move. I do know that in my class at least 2 of the OOP applicants were waitlisted (not sure about the others) and they had below average interview marks.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry so much. Many of those who got the intial offer will decline and the waitlist should move. The only caveat to that is that it may take some time while the other applicants wait for offers elsewhere especially Ont. where they seem to like to drag the process out.

Good luck I hope you manage to succeed in you quest to get into med school.

Archived