Premed 101 Forums

best undergrad path to get into PT

Hello,

I have a few questions, but before I list them off, I want to briefly tell you about myself. I am in Canada and currently a student-athlete at a college I received a severe concussion at the beginning of the season and was treated by an Athletic therapist who specializes in neurorehabilitation. I fell in love with the profession and decided to apply to Mount Royal University's Bachelor of Health and Physical Education - Athletic therapy program. The program is very competitive and well known, but I got in! I believe you must have a 4.0 in your most recent credits. It was great news until I ran into a dilemma; the fear that I am entering the wrong profession. I always wanted to become a physiotherapist and after studying my options, it seems that PT is the better option for me over AT. This is taking job stability and growth into account. Now here are my questions:

1) I have three choices for undergrad studies that I can transfer to, which one do you feel is the best?

a) The AT program at MRU where the least amount of credits transfer and it is apparently very challenging in terms of achieving a high GPA 

b) A combined degree - B.Ed in physical education and a BA in kinesiology. 39 credits transfer, but it is a 5-year undergrad. - University of Lethbridge

c) Camosun College - Bachelor in Exercise and Wellness, as well as I would continue being a student-athlete 

These are all great options, but I am having trouble choosing the path that will most benefit me when it comes to applying to PT and completing PT school!

2) do you think that someone with an AT background might have an advantage when getting into PT school and/or when applying for jobs as a PT 

3) Should I just choose an "easier" program to keep up my GPA and focus on extracurricular activities, rather than going into an intensive program like AT?

3) Not sure if you'll know lots about this, but I hear that AT is slowly becoming more recognized, so if I don't get into PT, what are your thoughts on AT as a backup career?

thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!  You sent me these questions as a private message, but I will also reply to them here in case it ends up helping anyone else :)

1) Do you know which university/universities you are planning to apply to for a masters in PT?  It will be beneficial for you to look at those universities and find out what they look for in an applicant. More and more universities are looking for well rounded students, but the bottom line is that your undergrad grades are going to be the first thing they look at. Most PT schools generally have a GPA cutoff (high 80s for the most part), and it's only if you meet that requirement that they will look at your past experiences.  So AT training is definitely an asset, but unfortunately it won't be much use if you can't maintain a high GPA. Personally, I did a kin degree and I ended up getting to take a lot of 'fun' electives during my 4th year which helped boost my GPA. 

2)  As I mentioned, yes having an AT background is advantageous in comparison to having no PT-related experience. But there are lots of other options (volunteering in hospitals/private PT clinics, working as a PTA, participating in research, kin/exercise physiology certification, personal training, etc...) that would also allow you to gain valuable experience. 

3) AT is absolutely becoming more recognized, and would be a great career as long as it's something that you enjoy. Most university sports teams, as well as other sports teams in the community, look for volunteer therapists. I know some people that worked with sports teams while doing their kin degree and found it to be a great experience. It might be worth looking into opportunities near you and seeing if it's something you truly enjoy. Other great careers that are similar to PT and are slowly gaining recognition are: kinesiologists, exercise physiologists & occupational therapists.  It might be worth checking those career paths out as well. 

4) Based on my own experience and what I've heard from others, a high GPA is absolutely the first step to becoming a PT. As I mentioned before, there are plenty of ways for you to gain experience outside of school. Ultimately, it's a lot easier to put in some extra volunteer work than to try to fix a low GPA. 

That being said, it's always a good idea to have a backup plan. Pick a program that will allow you to have other career options that you would be happy with, in case PT school doesn't work out for you. 

I 100% agree with PTea. 

A high GPA is what gets your foot through the door for PT applications. Ensuring that your GPA is competitive is the first step, then it's making sure you have the volunteer experience and the interviewing skills. Since you spoke about MRU, I am going to assume you are one day going to apply for the PT program at U of A. U of A's grading scheme for the PT program is: 50% GPA, 45% MMI Interview, and 5% Anatomy. So making sure you have good communication skills is vital. =D Hope that helps. 

Hi powerpuff,

I have to agree with everyone else - a high GPA is what gets you past the first step of the application process.  From there you want to focus on volunteer or work experience that will give you insights into the world of physiotherapy, the challenges and how PTs think.  The programs in Canada will teach you everything you need to know to be a good PT - think about undergrad as a way to get into PT school and not necessarily gaining knowledge to make PT school easier.  We hope this helps!

Archived