Premed 101 Forums

how do people TA during undergrad?

Guest mmhs12345

Guest mmhs12345

I read that a couple of people have posted that they have TAed during undergrad. How is that possible? I thought only masters/phd students can TA.

At my school, masters/PhD students can be lab instructors, which undergrads can't, but anyone who has previously taken the course can TA or assist with labs. I'm only in second year and was asked to apply (couldn't because of my schedule, though.) This may vary by school.

Depends what school, I don't know of any undergrads being TA's here. So that may be the issue, different schools have different regulations.

I know for the histology lab at McGill (ANAT 261), each small group has a TA that helps guide the lesson and these positions are filled by 3rd or 4th year undergrads; the three head TA positions are graduate students. I think undergrads can also TA for ANAT 262 as well as the PHGY department which has "Undergraduate Student Course Assistants" who are each specific to particular systems.

Depends what school, I don't know of any undergrads being TA's here. So that may be the issue, different schools have different regulations.

I know for the histology lab at McGill (ANAT 261), each small group has a TA that helps guide the lesson and these positions are filled by 3rd or 4th year undergrads; the three head TA positions are graduate students. I think undergrads can also TA for ANAT 262 as well as the PHGY department which has "Undergraduate Student Course Assistants" who are each specific to particular systems.

Yeah I was going to say, I know of several courses at McGill with undergrad TA's. ANAT 261, ANAT 214, and many courses have USCA's or TTA's. So it all depends on the school/department/course, some allow undergrad TA's and some are restricted to grad students.

My math major friend at waterloo has TAed for math courses in his second year of undergrad. It is definitely possible, but this friend is a complete math genius. I believe he mostly just marked exams.

Waterloo's big on undergrads serving as TAs. It just seems to be a part of the school's approach to undergrad education.

Math & anats are the big ones I've heard of for schools letting students TA. Ask around, do some online searching, see what you can find.

I was able to TA 3 different courses (not simultaneously), through the bio department at my school as an undergrad. The application sounded like it was for graduate students, but I just filled it out and it worked out...

My school has lots of courses that undergrads TA. They are usually the huge 1st year classes though (incidentally the ones that grad students typically dislike TAing). There are lots of grad students so I think it is just a consequence of the size of the courses.

At Guelph, there are separate postings on the job sites for graduate TAs and undergraduate TAs. An undergraduate cannot work as a TA for a position that is only advertised for graduate students, and a graduate student cannot apply for a position that is only advertised to undergraduate students. This distinction is enforced by the union.

Most courses use graduate TAs, but there are some that have undergraduate TAs.

Archived