Premed 101 Forums

Mature Student

Hello all!

Have been reading the site and a lot of my questions have been answered so thanks to all those who contributed to such informative discussion.

Very serious about applying but am wondering how people feel about my chances:

Application stats:

-Mature Student 35 with two young kids

-GPA of 3.00 (very low I know) two degrees (Honours B Comm and Bachelor of Arts Econ) equal out to that GPA. Second degree is probably around 3.30 but I see they are combining them going forward.

-Context: Very Strong here born and raised in rural and remote Northern Ontario (pop under 6000 and not close to any major centers) moved away for school but am living back home now for 5 years.

-EC: Broad range of things including a lot of travel, volunteering, running own business, working in a well known company, currently sit on hospital board of directors, lots of First Nations experience although I am not First Nations myself.

The people around me have encouraged me to apply including chiefs and physicians which is what led me start this research. I am willing to commit my life to this and understand the time and family challenges that I would have. Their are huge shortages for family doctors in our under-served region and I want to be a part of that solution. But after reading everything I feel my GPA may limit if not destroy my chances. With two degrees adding a few courses would barely move the needle on the GPA.

I originally was thinking that I could get some great reference letters but if those aren't considered until the interview stage they may not even help.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

You sound very much like a friend of mine who recently graduated from medicine. Similar stories and background. Not 100% sure what her GPA was but I know it wasn't stellar.

NOSM is the one school I know very little about, never applied there for med or residency so can't really say anything of particular use to you other than you may benefit from meeting or talking to one of their advisers over the phone. 

GL

I

You sound very much like a friend of mine who recently graduated from medicine. Similar stories and background. Not 100% sure what her GPA was but I know it wasn't stellar.

NOSM is the one school I know very little about, never applied there for med or residency so can't really say anything of particular use to you other than you may benefit from meeting or talking to one of their advisers over the phone. 

GL

Interesting what school did they get into?

I mean this with the utmost respect, as I think you would be a great NOSM learner: your current GPA will effectively remove you from consideration.   

If you are passionate about health care in the north, I would recommend doing an accelerated degree (BSc Nursing, or PA) and reapply with a stronger GPA, that way you will have some opportunity to pursue a career that, worst case scenario,  might satisfy your career motivations for medicine, and best case scenario might lead to medicine.

Good luck!

RR

Archived