Premed 101 Forums

U Manitoba Dropping Mdt - Dat Average Changes

U of Manitoba this year is no longer considering the MDT in their DAT averages this year, and I'm wondering if people think that will increase or decrease applicants DAT averages (avg. of Chem, Bio, PAT and RC)? Do most people apply with MDT scores that boost their average or lower it?

I guess it depends on the year/month they took the dat. I will never understand how cda marks because last november there were barely any people who got 30 on MDT and this november there were 30 people. My carving score last year was 88th percentile but if I had the same score I would've been 71th percentile.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it'll go down. The MDT used to "boost" most people's DAT scores. 

But, if the dentistry curriculum stays the same (at least for 1st year), then those who would've gotten poor MDT scores might suffer - since carving skills turn out to be a pretty important asset.

I think it will go up.

The DAT average for the past two years have been 18ish due to the MDT. If you look at the test score scales in the recent years, only about 150 people get an MDT over 20 per DAT.

Its easy to get 20+ in all the sections if you study hard enough. If you look at the test score scales, well over 300-500 people get over 20 in TS, RC, and the PAT. With hundreds of people scoring well over 20 in each section, it only makes sense to me that the removal of the MDT will make the average go up by a little bit.

I think it will go up.

The DAT average for the past two years have been 18ish due to the MDT. If you look at the test score scales in the recent years, only about 150 people get an MDT over 20 per DAT.

Its easy to get 20+ in all the sections if you study hard enough. If you look at the test score scales, well over 300-500 people get over 20 in TS, RC, and the PAT. With hundreds of people scoring well over 20 in each section, it only makes sense to me that the removal of the MDT will make the average go up by a little bit.

MDT has been trending upwards though. A 20 is like a 60th percentile now.

Archived