Premed 101 Forums

Mcgill Med

gomt4ng

Hey Guys!

First off, congratulations to all those who got in McGill Med-P! So happy for you guys.

For those who didn't make it this time (like myself), better luck next time!

I was wondering, is it possible for people to re-apply to med after finishing dent at another school?

I got accepted into dent at another university and I will most likely be going there, but my dream has always been going to McGill... Is it non-realistic?

Thanks!

Yes you can re-apply but only after you finish dent undergrad and you'll be compared to other university students.

Keep in mind that dent undergrad is very difficult and quite subjective (lots of practical exams).

If you have a really good r score (>35-36) and your ultimate dream is med-p, consider taking a gap year and re-applying to med-p next cycle.

I was in the same predicament as you. I was considering going to Laval dent If i was refused to McGill pre med. Luckily, I was admitted. More to the point, if medicine is your dream, you should definitely follow that dream in particular. A path to medicine through dental school seems like a bad idea to me. Achieving good grades in dent is hard and getting the time to do extracurricular for med school is impossible when doing dental school. I recommend to think hard about your decision. Best of luck.

I was in the same predicament as you. I was considering going to Laval dent If i was refused to McGill pre med. Luckily, I was admitted. More to the point, if medicine is your dream, you should definitely follow that dream in particular. A path to medicine through dental school seems like a bad idea to me. Achieving good grades in dent is hard and getting the time to do extracurricular for med school is impossible when doing dental school. I recommend to think hard about your decision. Best of luck.

Not impossible. By going to dent, OP will have a very unique pathway to med which will set him apart from other candidates. In addition, he will already have the "healthcare" mentality which is so important in the MMIs (a lot of the people who go to life sciences don't have this patient-centered mentality). Also, he will have access to a lot of opportunities that other candidates don't have, for example, at McGill, students in healthcare programs can join the Interprofessional Global Health Course which looks pretty good on the CV. However, I agree that dent is super hard and your GPA may suffer.

Archived