Premed 101 Forums

Question about the admission process

Hey BobSmith,

I'm gonna be real with you and give you advice that will save you a lot of heartache. I will preface this comment with the context that this is coming from. As someone who has been applying for literally half a decade, I've come to truly understand the nature of this beast.

My advice is to stray away from what you're trying to do. In all honesty, you'll spend countless hours trying to determine your chances and worrying about your chances. Maybe you'll come to the conclusion that you're a highly qualified candidate. But be warned, even the highly qualified candidates may not make it. This process is extremely unpredictable. Maybe one year you'll get an interview and it'll build up your confidence only to have it crushed the next year when that same school which placed you on the waitlist the year before decides to not even offer you an interview despite you making your application better. In all honesty, the best thing to do is to ensure you have the minimum to be considered and put your best foot forward. It will save you a lot of stress and anxiety.

And FYI queens is a black box. Nobody knows and if they do, they're part of admissions and wont spill. What I can say is that their website in past years has explicitly stated that once you reach the interview stage, your MCAT and GPA are no longer factors. If it's still there, then it'll still be the case. GL :)

From the Queen's UGME website:

"Successful applicants are reviewed and ranked by the Admissions Committee and offers are made based on a ranked list. The rank order list is comprised of applicant scores from the Sketch, Letters of Reference and Interview Scores. "

As Neurophilic mentioned, outside of admissions, no one really knows the specifics

Archived