Premed 101 Forums

Omsas scale

Hello

I study at western university and was thinking of applying to Western Ontario medical school. I have filled all the application but I am confused as to how grading works before I submit that button. I looked at the requirements and note that my best two GPA using the restrictions imposed by Western Ontario is 84.70%, but I am not sure if Omsas will round up or down.  Using the column 3, I see that if it gets round down, my gpa would be 3.7, which is obviously very low to even apply but if it gets round up, my gpa is 3.9. 

I am confused. Thanks in advance!

Even if its a 3.7 your good. But it has to be 3.7 in EACH of the 2 best years used. And for Western you must be in final year of UG or have completed UG to apply. 

The way you calculate with OMSAS is use the scale to convert each percentage to a number out of 4.00 using the correct column, then add and numbers for one year and divide by 10. if its a full year class, just add that number in twice and still divide by 10 in the end. If you overloaded any year, use top 10 credits only. 

37 minutes ago, T-cell said:

Even if its a 3.7 your good. But it has to be 3.7 in EACH of the 2 best years used. And for Western you must be in final year of UG or have completed UG to apply. 

The way you calculate with OMSAS is use the scale to convert each percentage to a number out of 4.00 using the correct column, then add and numbers for one year and divide by 10. if its a full year class, just add that number in twice and still divide by 10 in the end. If you overloaded any year, use top 10 credits only. 

Thank you!

It is 3.7 in each year or precisely 84.6 and 84.8 but 3.7 gpa is low and probably won't make a cut off. May be I am not calculating right. I just do not want to apply if my gpa is calculated to be just 3.7 as it is too low for any Canadian med school.

According to omsas scales 80-84 is 3.7 and 85-89 is 3.9

3 minutes ago, T-cell said:

Hey, if its a 3.7 on the dot even but not rounded then you are good! If you meet the MCAT cut-offs as well I would 100% apply. Are you SWOMEN? 

I am from SK and not swomen but I was raised in a small rural town near Niagra Fall.

I did my undergrad in 2015.

1 hour ago, dumbebell said:

So how will this given year be counted?

6 credits: 94

6 credits: 80

3 credits: 82

3 credit: 92

3 credit: 81

3 credits: 82

3 credita: 82

3 credits: 80

If I avg them, its 84.6!

UWO alum here,

This I am sure has been answered time and time again but to find your OMSAS GPA, you generally take the grade in each class in the year and divide by number of credits. That's for OMSAS,  some other schools use your average in %. When I calculate GPA, single semester courses count as 1 and full year courses count twice (look at the example below). With your grades (your 6 credits is a full year presumably, I'll refer to it accordingly) this is how I'd do it using the OMSAS scale for uwo:

Course 1 = 94 (full-year, count it twice) = 4.0*2

Course 2 = 80 = 3.7*2

Course 3 = 82 = 3.7

Calculate the GPA for each course, then at the end divide by 10 (where each single semester course contributes 1 to the denominator and full-year courses each contribute 2 to denom)

If my assumptions on your credit hours are correct, your omsas undergrad gpa for that year is 3.79.

For cumulative GPA you do the above for each year, summate them, and then divide by total number of years.

Now I'm just curious, why are you getting your grades in lecture/semester hours and not as 0.5 and 1.0 credits? Whats your major?

15 hours ago, dumbebell said:

Hey

Thank you. That was helpful.

I did search it but only found one post specifically about Saskatchewan. Since I go to U of S, our grades are raw and reported as if. Thats why I confused. It makese sense now.

Fortunately MCAT is not the issue but 3.79 is too low *sigh*

well that is low but it is still above cut off for the school for that year - and people do get interviews and accepted at that level (or at least have, since every year the cut offs will change). Western uses cut offs to reduce the pool down to something they can manage for interviews down to a group of people where by anyone in that pool they would accept based on academics (leaving the interview). That's the entire point of them. 

Archived