Premed 101 Forums

How do you submit non peer reviewed abstracts from presentations?

I presented at a local research day, my abstract was "published" in the little pamphlet they give out at the beginning. For the type do I select  "non peer reviewed academic of non academic publications"? I assume published abstracts in the other section refers to abstracts that were published in a peer reviewed journal after the conference?

Yeah, that's not a publication that I think you can put down in your application at all. The application manual says "This may include oral and poster presentations as long as the abstract has been published in the conference proceedings."  The pamphlet does not classify as conference proceedings it is just a guide to what is occurring during the conference. I.e. If I can't find a summary including your abstract on the local research day website then don't include it at all. 

Local research days are great and you can totally put them down of a CV but if it's not peer reviewed and published in a journal after the conference then I wouldn't put it down. My understanding is that non peer reviewed academic or non academic publications are things like undergraduate journals, fiction or nonfiction publications, poetry,  etc.

Admissions needs to be able to verify the publication somehow. So if there is no way that they can get access to it (online or otherwise) then it's not really published by definition. A non peer reviewed abstract, if actually published, could probably go under non-peer reviewed publications in the application system. My concern is the "publication" aspect of your original question. I've done a number of poster and oral presentations of my abstracts at small conferences but I know I can't find them "published" anywhere accessible. I could find proof that I actually presented, but the abstract isn't available if someone wanted to find it. 

Archived