Premed 101 Forums

Can you subspecialize on a return of service?

Hi all, 

Second year medical student here with a quick question for anyone who knows. If you do an IM residency that has a "return of service" requirement attached to it, are you forced to do the 4 year General Internal Medicine (GIM), or can you subspecialize? If you subspecialize, does that add to your years of "return of service"?

Any clarification or insight would be much appreciated.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:04 PM, blueskyguy said:

Hi all, 

Second year medical student here with a quick question for anyone who knows. If you do an IM residency that has a "return of service" requirement attached to it, are you forced to do the 4 year General Internal Medicine (GIM), or can you subspecialize? If you subspecialize, does that add to your years of "return of service"?

Any clarification or insight would be much appreciated.

I heard for the ones given post 2nd round this past year, you can't, but for the regular ones in Ontario for IMGs, the answer is yes you can. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 2:04 PM, blueskyguy said:

It depends. Each province has different return of service requirements, so look into the provinces you're applying to. That being said, it is my understanding that generally, your return of service is equal to the length of residency, but if you leave for fellowship that doesn't count. I don't know how it works if you stay in province. For instance, if you wanna be a nephrologist, you do your 3 years IM on return of service, then leave to do your fellowship, you have to come back to fulfill those 3 years in the province you did your residency in. I think, that if you do 4 years general then you owe four years.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not on a return of service contract so can't personally say.

Archived