Premed 101 Forums

publication/poster required for admission to med school?

No, this is certainly not a requirement to gain admissions to medicine. I know people from my undergrad who were accepted to medicine without either. I think it is more school dependent than anything.

In general, I think it is hard to compare your extracurriculars to those of other people. In my opinion, it is better to focus on activities that you are truly interested in and that will allow you to grow as a person. After all, that will allow you to convey who you are more so than just completing things for the sake of the application. 

I've done file reviews and its really hard to compare ECs between applicants. It's just impossible to know how much work actually is involved in each EC, some ECs sound more complex than they actually are and vice versa. 

I personally think the best application would probably have something in each category and really show passion and excellence in one or maybe two categories. We all know that the same person who's going to become a great researcher is not going to have the time to become a social advocate, but I think what matters is that you really take your interest to the next level, that shows you have passion as opposed to someone who is just covering their bases. At the same time, covering your bases is a good strategy nonetheless, if you believe the other aspects of your application will carry you to success. 

There is also an element of luck involved with these applications as well unfortunately. 

Archived